Vertex counts and cut time

Vertex points are always a consideration with 3D work, and in Illustrator too of course. You want the smoothest lines with a minimal number of points.

I’ve noticed when you do a Boolean in CC, it creates a TON of extra points. Just on circles for example. You have 4 points but when you join both you have a buttload of new points.

Obviously you have a threshold to meet for smooth curves file size aside, do more points get you longer cut times? Haven’t had a chance to clock test it yet.

CC is great for on the fly stuff but you cant kern your text very well. Everything I do starts in Illustrator or 3D Max anyway. Boolens in Max are optimized so easier for me to do it there first.

Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving - Go Eagles

Boolean operations in Carbide Create result in polylines.

If you use the Trim Vectors tool you will get a bit more control:

OK

Then use Join Vectors to put things together:

Yes

which is still nice Bézier curves:

Up to a reasonable number, points in a polyline vs. the curve which they originally described should have similar cut times.

Text in Carbide Create is as the QT text object allows — I don’t think sophisticated features such as kerning are likely to be implemented — probably the argument would be anyone who knows of and wishes to do that will likely have a tool which has that feature and can convert the text to paths and then export to an SVG which can then be imported.

No, the vertext count will not affect cut time. All bezier curves are converted to polylines to cut anyway, and there is code to reduce the number of verticies if the line segments are below the resolution of the machine.

Generally speaking the two things that affect cut time most significantly are:

• Total toolpath length
  • Feedrate
1 Like

Great info gents thank you. Happy Thanksgiving!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.