VFD connector make & part #?

I would like to put my Shapeoko 5 Pro’s spindle controller on the right side of the 5 pro but the cable to the spindle is way too short. I have no usable surface to mount the controller on the left. I can make an extension if I can get a male and a female connector to match what the spindle uses. I had a connector that looks like it but it is slightly smaller. Does anyone know the make and part number?

6 pin 4.2mm pitch Molex Mini-fit Jr.
https://www.molex.com/en-us/products/part-detail/469920610

Thanks for the info, but that’s the connectors used on the cable between the 5 Pro controller and the VFD controller. That cable is plenty long enough. My problem is the 16 gauge, 4 conductor cable between the spindle controller and the spindle.

This is the rubber sheathed cable going through the drag chain. I could cut the end off and splice a new cable inline (kludge and voids warranty?) or make a new cable with a 4-pin connector on each end and I would use it to replace the portion passing through the drag chain. This would allow me to plug the current cable into the end where it sticks out of the drag chain on the back left. Then the portion connected to the controller would be long enough to reach the right side. Actually, then the cable using the molex connectors become way longer than it needs to be.

Please see:

I’m sorry, I read your post wrong. The spindle uses a aviation connector and there is not really a good standard for those. It looks like a H17 but I believe a H17 connector has the pin spacing a bit wider than what is used on the C3D spindles. You can try the Huayang connector to see if it is the same. If not then your best bet is probably going to be replacing the connector with a part you know such as a H17 and then using additional H17 connectors to extend the cable. You could also just buy a new cable of proper length and reuse the old connectors.

Huayang connector

@WillAdams - Just a FYI, that link provided does not list the connector used on the VFD side which is a Molex Mini-fit Jr. or the spindle aviation connector. It does however list the micro-fit 3 connectors used on the pig tail side of the VFD cable.

After careful measurements, I just ordered a connector pair from Amazon. It was called “Aviation Connector 4P 10A GX20-4”. I noted these connectors are variously called “H17”, or “GX16”, etc. where the numeric part seems to be approximately the outside diameter of the threads of the male connector. The spindle’s connector measures 18.81mm and the GX20 seems to be the next size up. It should come tomorrow. We shall see how well it fits. The GX16’s I had on hand were too small, but it was surprising that the body and pins of the connector worked, just the threaded ring won’t screw on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.