VFD Setup on SO4

I`ve installed a 1.5 kw spindle to my SO4 and now i wanted to see if anybody can assist with the setup for controlling the spindle (on/off, direction and speed) through signal from C3D board.

This is the terminal on the VFD:

with description from the manual:

The parameter options of the VFD:

In a second step, I want to add an emergency stop to the setup. Happy for suggestions…

Thanks in advance for assistance!

Here are a few pointers to get you started.
Completely unofficial/unsupported, so use at your own risk (and be super careful, unplug everything before making/breaking electrical connections)

1. I strongly advise to initially NOT connect the signal from the Shapeoko. Use the VFD factory settings, adjust parameters to match your spindle characteristics as per the provided documentation, and check if you can control the spindle manually from the VFD, and if it spins in the correct direction.

2. once the spindle operates correctly in manual mode, you can enable external control to use the PWM signal from the Shapeoko controller to drive the RPM. This should boil down to:

• pick-up the PWM signal on one of the controller’s connector (typically the BitRunner connector). The pinout is out there on the forum.
    • connect GND to your VFD’s GND, and PWM to the “5V Input” on your VFD.
    • set Pn 03 to 3
    • set Pn 04 to 2

Those two should make the spindle controllable by the Shapeoko controller, and then you still have to modify GRBL’s param $30 to 24000, such that M3/M5 gcode commands are correctly translated to 0-5V output on the PWM.

There are quite a few VFD-related threads on the forum (this long one for example), but details depend on your setup/VFD/spindle.

Thank you @Julien! I already tested the VFD and the spindle. Manually through the VFD the spindle is working correctly.

After finishing my enclosure I thought it’s time to add a spindle. I figured that the Makita router with the SuperPID has its limits when trying to get to the next level in projects.

What do you think about my enclosure?

One other missing upgrade is an Aluminium bed and maybe a HDZ. But with that I am unsure if the belt driven SO4 is worth putting that up or perhaps live with it and later get to the big brother of my SO4.

1 Like

That’s a fancy enclosure, nice!

I went down that road but that was before the hybrid bed, which I think makes the Al table upgrade un-interesting now for 99% of users. Noticed how even the HDM has the hybrid bed ?

Now that’s an upgrade that I think is still quite relevant if you want to push the boundaries of you SO4.

Really depends on what you are cutting, but in many many cases, it won’t be the belts setting the limit of what you can achieve, and as you know the SO4 as the same 15mm belts as the Pro.

1 Like

Stephen,

I have recently installed a 2.2 kw water cooled spindle. I had previously purchased the HDM and am glad I did. Although I only cut wood my setup works fine for me.

@Phil25707 thanks for the reply. After reconsidering, I think the HDZ is the next logic upgrade for me. In my enclosure I have the cabinet for the board etc. seperated, too. What do you control in your setup with the buttons?

Obviously the E-Stop… how did you wire that up? I saw so many versions in the forum that i`m trying to see what fits best for me.

Besides the E-Stop, I added navigation buttons and switches for light and dust extraction, After I got rid of the Makita and the SuperPID, I have some switches and buttons left as I don`t need the switch Manual/PWM anymore and the on/off switch for the SuperPID.

I am running a test with GSender for a while now because the implementation for joystick control is easier than with CNCJS. The more you dig into all this, the more ideas you get…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.