VFD spindle not pausing

I just built my pro 5 and installed the VFD spindle along with carbide motion version 635.
The problem I am having is when I pause a cut my Pro 4 XXL used to shut off the router and retract from the work piece the Pro 5 just stops movement and the bit continues to run. It stays in the work piece also.
Is there a setting I need to change to go back to it turning off the spindle and retracting from the work piece?

Normal Operation of Pause

For reasons as yet un-explained, this is how the latest versions of CM work when pausing. As far as I can tell no-one likes the new behavior, and there have been multiple requests to return to the old behavior.

Just from a safety standpoint, leaving the spindle running during a pause is crazy.

“Oh, it looks like that over there will be a problem, just let me move that.” With the old behavior, that was a reasonably safe thing to do. Now the only safe option is to abort the entire job.

“This is taking longer than I thought, I’ll just pause it and come back after dinner.” Nope! Now the only safe option is abort the entire job.

As far as I can tell, the new pause behavior is completely useless.

Is it possible to go back to the old version of carbide motion to get that safety option back?

Interested to know. In gsender i just had a macro to click. As far as i know CM doesn’t allow custom macros. Maybe it does? If so, a command m5; g0z0.01would stop spindle and move to 10thou (of your running inches) above the top of material (if you use bed as zero the z__ would have to be the thickness of your material plus the desired height). I’d have to read up on it again so don’t trust me, but i believe there’s a command to g23 through g27 to switch between planes/jobs, so you could switch to g24 first so you’re not messing with the current program code g23… i dunno. There’s always multiple options for the same result, but a custom macro would be one.

Then naturally resume would have m3 g23, or whatever

I believe this is a phenomenon of the 5 series of machines, not the version of CM.

3 Likes

If this is the new behavior of CM, why not just disable your spindle with the spindle enable button on the front of your VFD?

That halts my spindle and then when I re-enable it the spindle starts right back up to what speed it had before I disabled the spindle. No M command needed that way. I am relocating the VFD enable in a small box on the front of my machine to make it more accessible as the cables aren’t really long enough on a 4x4, but I suspect this is exactly what that push button is designed to be used for.

1 Like

The last version of CM would turn the spindle off and retract from the work piece. Since I upgraded it no longer does that.
It’s a safety issue and time saving issue.

Yes, Pro 5 issue from what i understand, not sure what the issue is, but it’s “normal” behavior on a Pro5.

That’s one of the best things about my aftermarket spindle is that i can power off the VFD when i pause and actually leave the machine in the paused state for a few hours now. That was a big roadblock for me previously on long jobs.

I understand the philosophy of making the UI as simple as possible. But there needs to be a balance.
Not being able to pause a job, raise z, insert dust shoe, and start job is not a good idea. High risk of personal injury, bits breaking, and other damage.

1 Like