Vinyl Cutter Drag Knife Attachment for Shapeoko

Hey everyone!

I wanted to cut some vinyl decals and didn’t want to buy a cricut machine so I made one. I know there are a few designs of this already but I feel I have this pretty dialed in and simplified. It’s spring loaded, smooth bearing tube, and adjustable blade height for different materials. I have them available in 65mm, 69mm and 80mm spindle if anyone is interested.

!

10 Likes

What CAM software are you using?

2 Likes

Using autodesk inventor

Sorry, I didn’t mean the 3D modeling. I meant what software are you using to generate the vinyl cutter toolpaths?

2 Likes

Such a more elegant solution than my setup! Do you plan to make the STL’s available?

Thanks! Not at this time since I’ve spent sooo many hours designing and testing. I have them available on my site if you want to check them out!

Not sure what OP is using, but I remember running across a small program (might even have been a macro) that took gcode and added the loops for corners and whatnot. Now that I have posted this, I’ll have to go see if I can find it. If I remember correctly, you just did a “follow the vector” path for cutting.

EDIT: And I should have just looked real quick before posting. Donek has it. as well as a PP for Vectric and ArtCAM.

3 Likes

oh i see…apologies, was not trying to snag a freebee…didn’t realize you were selling them. Will check them out. Great work!

And your website would be?

I’ll PM you I don’t think I’m allowed to post links

1 Like

Probably get flagged for this but here’s a little setup video of my attachment. Working on the tutorial/example video later this week.

5 Likes

What software are you using from drawing to cutting the vinyl?

Just importing SVG into carbide create! Contour cut with no offset, Max cut depth 0.001”

2 Likes

Nice work! Looks like a nice add on to our machines. Perhaps a future pick-up for me.

I did a web search for your shop…
https://www.boneswoodshop.com/shop/cnc

1 Like

Thank you! If I posted the link the admins take it diwn

“admin” here: just to clarify the rules, we’re basically trying to do two things:
a) let people share the great stuff they’ve made, for inspiration to the community
b) while also enforcing the “no commercial activity” rule from the terms of service so that this forum does not turn into a giant collection of ads in the blink of an eye.

It’s a subtle balance, there is no right way to do it, someone will always be unhappy.
I think the unofficial Facebook group has different rules (@SLCJedi will know) and is more open to advertising posts.

4 Likes

A further note here is that the old Shapeoko forums have a specific “For Sale” area:

https://forum.shapeoko.com/viewforum.php?f=12

so perhaps folks could join the other forum to hawk their wares?

1 Like

Public forums are a difficult balancing act and impossible to please everyone. You just try to be focused, keep things helpful, and civil.

On the Unofficial Facebook Page we allow private sales. More commercial sales I take on a per case basis. I want them to be more small business oriented and specific to Shapeoko and Nomad machines.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.