Visual Chronicles of a Nomadman

Wow this mod should make many Nomad user salivate but I wonder if you will lose the level of precision of the Nomad spindle.

Alright. Prepping my last plenum to weld and then its milling the Z plate out of 4x7x1.5" 6061

I think the only accuracy difference will be in the runnout but it’s not bad to check and adjust. The power and sfm should have a huge difference in cut quality. Plus facing with 1" insert bits :heart_eyes:

The spindle holder should accommodate up to 80mm (2.2kw) spindle as well

2 Likes

Oooh I can’t wait to see that in action.

1 Like

The HDZ of the Nomad world Something for @Luke to see.

1 Like

Awesome to see you do what you do @Vince.Fab, appreciate the time you put into sharing it

I reckon a 400w servo geared up with better spindle bearings would make a great spindle on the Nomad, it would then open up the possibility of rigid tapping…

2 Likes

I’m hesitant to add more power to the stock drive system because at just 70 watts, it’s already producing a lot of heat.

I prefer threadmilling over any other type of tapping. A broken threadmill doesn’t make you hate life with extractions.

This upgrade path is the most efficient for me as I’ll be able to share multiple spindles across multiple machines if needed.

However…I’ll just put this here

4 Likes

okay, but explain it @Vince.Fab

Looks like brushless motors for drones / helicopters adapted for use as spindles.

I have a 1/10 RC truck with a brushless motor, and the amount of power that can be put through those small brushless motors is crazy considering their size.

1 Like

interesting.

i got a mamba monster X (1:8 scale) in my slash 4x4 (1:10 scale) :grin:
never would have thought to use as a spindle.

torque, radial load, and runout would be of concern going down such a route.

Thanks Vince, another project inspiration for the To-Do list.

I have some of those lying around…

Like I need more projects on my to-do lsit…

Got me courious though, found this: https://hackaday.com/2014/08/03/brushless-dc-motor-used-for-high-speed-cnc-spindle/

RMW

2 Likes

Have you checked out E skateboards? I had one that pulled 30amps running as a direct hub motor.

Brushless Makita runs really well on a 24v20a ps though.

Initial prototype plate came out pretty good but need a few tweaks. Bolt on anti backlash nut mount worked well and should leave enough room for an updated style in the future.

That’s one RadNomad :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Cooking with fire!

Yeah I should have probably skimmed the front of the X plate but it should ok. All parts are designed to be machined on a Nomad as well.

4" of Z travel tested at 2-300 ipm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/irvTVbsshm6SnmNRA

Google photo video links not working anymore in the forum :cry: might have start a YouTube lol

9 Likes

Just gotta relocate the bitsetter and add a disc for 1" insert mill compatibility.

Soooooo close to letting it rip!

10 Likes

Made a ghetto tool length probe spacer just to get it running. I’ll probably try to order a bitsetter to take the original ones spot.

Brushless Makita not even breaking a sweat with a full(ish) 0.95" width pass at 0.005 depth and 0.001 chipload.

Gotta play with the tram a bit but its decent right now. Ordered an iot relay with power supply to shut down and power up the router. Nice thing about the brushless is that it has a dual button safety On switch so it can’t ever self start.

8 Likes

Damn that’s looking nice. Which do you think is winning right now in terms of MRR, Nomeoko (Makita (for a Shapeoko) + Nomad = Nomeoko) or Spindlad (new Spindle + Nomad = Spindlad)?

Haven’t settled on a name yet lol.

The Makita has something like 500 watts and 0.375/8mm capacity plus the fan for the air cooling functions as a free air blast. It is also 25% the weight of any spindle I have plus higher rpm capabilities. Not to mention that it’s short enough to add an inch of Z travel yet still fit under the “hood”. Its dual insulated body also allows the use with a touch probe.

Let’s just say the Makita has enough power for MRR levels to fill the Nomad enclosure pretty easily with chips lol.

3 Likes

Power + rigidity :heart_eyes:
Pulling off some crisp lines and bomber sidewalls with Carbide Create and shapeoko+ mrr

11 Likes

Dang that’s flawless :+1:

1 Like