Warping wood when removing material

I’ve had issues with warping wood when removing large amounts of material on 3D engravings for signs.

Securing material during run time is one element, but I think this can be solved with better securement of material.

I’m more concerned with the final product not being flat once unclamped. I’ve been cutting into pine.

Any tips/tricks?

Insofar as it is possible, remove equal amounts of material from both sides — at a minimum, plane off the bottom of the stock before actually cutting.

1 Like

Interesting about planning off material from the bottom first. I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

The problem is moisture in the wood. If you are buying pine at the big box stores the pine is kiln dried but is not ready for use. If possible buy your wood ahead of time and let it acclimate to your shop. Fresh Pine can be as much as 20% moisture. Ideally you want moisture content to be about 7-9%. If you live in a humid environment it will never get to that level. The moisture level will mirror your storage humidity. Poplar may be a better choice. It still has moisture issues but is more stable than pine.

Wood is a natural product. You dont know of the tree grew on a hillside and when cut it releases the tension that was in the tree when it grew. When choosing wood try to find rift cut boards. Flat sawn boards tent to warp and twist more than rift cut boards. Rift cut is where the grain run more perpendicular to the face grain. Flat sawn boards have the rings of the tree running more or less parallel to the face of the board. Pick through the piles to find the rift cut boards if possible. Most lumber is just cut across a log and most of the wood is flat sawn but the boards in the middle of the tree are board rift cut.

In the picture below the plain sawn boards right in the middle are rift sawn.
In the picture the board that is shows as Plain-Sawn are called chaderals. Try to avoid those boards in pine. Other species are harder and more stable like oak even if plain sawn.

4 Likes

Also, let the wood acclimatise inside your workshop for several days at least. During that time keep it off any concrete floor and flat with equal sized spacers in between boards.

2 Likes

Very good info! Thanks!

You aren’t sealing one side of the wood right? If you do, that can cause warping. You should seal both sides.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.