Wasteboard surfacing Speeds/Feeds

Hi all,
I finally decided to make a wasteboard w/ threaded inserts for my pro xl and it turned out pretty well. I know it’s not really necessary with the hybrid table but I figure its still easier to replace a wasteboard when the time comes instead of having to make up new mdf slats. Anyway I still need to surface it but since i don’t have a surfacing bit, I was planning on just using a 1/4 bit. The CC run time for a pocket depth of .10’ is approx 90min with the default speeds and feeds but i was wondering if I can push that any harder to cut that run time down a little? I believe the default federate is 75ipm at 180000 rpm. Or is it worthwhile investing in surfacing bit? Thanks!

A surfacing bit such as the McFly is one option:

Yes, one can cut quite a bit faster making a skim cut on MDF w/ a #201 — I posted a file for doing one slat at a time a while back.

One other question i had, the preview in CC shows a lip being left around the wasteboard when creating a large pocket. Is there a way to ensure the entire board gets surfaced? Set the stock size slightly larger then it is maybe?

Set the geometry larger than the stock area?

No I thought maybe set the stock size slightly larger then create a pocket tool path over the hole thing. My wasteboard dimension are 15’ x 24’. If I use a pocket tool path over the actual size, the CC simulation shows a lip being left on the 4 corners.

I created this document for the Shapeoko 3 but it still applies for a Shapeoko 4.
spoilboard_considerations.pdf (1.3 MB)
If you have not made your spoil board yet this may help.

Here is my Whiteside 6210 F&S.

number vendor model URL name type diameter cornerradius flutelength shaftdiameter angle numflutes stickout coating metric notes machine material plungerate feedrate rpm depth cutpower finishallowance 3dstepover 3dfeedrate 3drpm
601 whiteside 6210 Fly Cutter end 1 0.125 0.25 0.25 2 3 0.25 0 Shapeoko MDF 10 80 16000 0.01 1 20 80 16000

Many thanks for sharing that info. I ended up just using my 201 1/4’ with a peice of mdf and im really pleased with how it turned out. I was expecting to have to clean up a lot of pocketing lines and such but it cut really nice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.