We need CC files that take a long time to simulate

We’re looking at making some simulation changes for V7 and I’d like to see if I can get some files that seem to take a really long time to simulate.

If you have any that take a long time to simulate (a long time to you, it’s all subjective) please post them and tell me approximately how long it takes to show the 3D view on your computer.

3 Likes

Here you go, takes a 5-10 minutes for my computer to calculate tool paths (lol @ 314k minutes) and was on track for simulation to take a good 4 hours if I were to let it run. (I was only around 8% after 20 minutes).

Obviously, it’s a ridiculous way to run a job with obscenely low DOC and stepover.

Originally this with default parameters almost broke CC and CM back when I first made it for the forum challenge #4.
Simulation Torture Test.c2d (3.7 MB)

1 Like

I assume that’s a synthetic file based on the name, right? Do you have any “real” projects that seemed to take a long time?

Only thing synthetic is the depth per pass and the step over values. The artwork on there is a real project. But, yes, these parameters were adjusted to maximize toolpath length.

This artwork with default parameters did make the version of CC from around the time of Community Contest 4 really think for a while or outright crash. Version 7 still took a minute to compute and show the sim. I wouldn’t say it took “too long” though.

Is there a characteristic that you’d expect to stress the simulation code more? ie total lines of gcode, number of tool path direction changes, length of toolpath.

Really, I’m trying to find the bounds of “normal” projects. The great Mayan-calendar-craze of 2018 was great to show what a complicated design looked like that people really wanted to cut.

I’m curious what the simulation/toolpath analog to that Mayan calendar is.

(I like your file though, it’s a good torture test)

Here’s one that in V6 took about 5-10 sec and in V714 takes 92 sec.
backside coin blank (3).c2d (736 KB)

1 Like

I opened my original file from V5 and just did a save as to preserve the original it progressed to 66% and sat there for a few minutes.

Save toolpaths in the same file did the same 3+ minutes to save the file to a Hard drive, quiet a bit faster to an SSD but still stopped for a while at 66%. There was hardly any system utilization the PC was at 1% or less CPU load the whole time. I don’t know if it is the compression in the new file format but it is much slower. File space is not an issue I’d rather have speed than save some on file size.
Path calculations and simulation were faster than V5.
redo Norse Mythology Calendar CCV719.c2d (3.7 MB)

1 Like

I have seen this on one project. It started a couple of Beta versions ago. Watching the file explorer when it is saving looks like the file save is stuck in a loop. File size alternated from 0 to 17 over and over. Then eventually saved after a few minutes. Multiple tool paths (maybe 10 includes pockets with 1/16 and 1/8 bits). My computer does have issues with space/speed, etc.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

I loaded the file using V719 and changed nothing but the file name and saved it. When to 66% and stayed there for 3 min. and 40 sec. before it finally saved. At least it saved after some time.

I’ve been having problems with 719v but this file at least did save after a long time.

Just FYI
Running W10 on a Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) with 8GB memory and 4GB free.

Hey Rob, I have an Aztec calendar I cut few months ago but it’s 14 meg, and tried to sent says max 4 meg file size can be sent. If you still need one, if you tell me how to do send and I will. Cd2 file. I am limited on computer knowledge. So be detailed will help HaHa! Thanks

Please try zipping the file, or posting it to an online storage system such as Google Drive and sending us the link.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.