Wedding Gift Cribbage Board

The centre of the updated design is starting to resemble an hourglass, which would fit the message perfectly. Perhaps you might explore a more classical hourglass shape for that piece ?

1 Like

Maurice,

What program did you use to do the model & rendering ?

@Gerry I was going for that look, but went a little more blocky with the top. I might relook this.

@L-CAD
Designed and rendered in Fusion 360. Everything in the model is ready to machine

Wow! That’s another level right there. I’m just getting started and that level of craftsmanship and detail seems inconceivable. You are an artist.

1 Like

So I’ve decided to create an online business for custom cribbage boards with a ton of different options available.

So far I standardized the circle pattern. I’ll have 3 different design types available. (Circular, Oval, and rectangular)

Base Circle Board

Card/Peg holder hidden on top of board:

Card Holder underneath board

And then I started playing around with a couple different models. Not set on any of these so far, just playing around seeing different type of models I can manipulate.

Looking for some help with different type of hard woods that really pull-off the 3D carve depth. Any ideas?

6 Likes

Technically this is true since these are Maurice’s 3D design renderings, and not yet finished items.

I’m very curious to see how those fine lines in the text and the filigree turn out when cut into wood. I’m hoping to be suitably impressed!

Finally found time to get this started. Not bad for day 1.

Everything is starting to come together :nerd_face:

Time for some epoxy…

7 Likes

Please use some scrap or other blocks to adjust the clamps so that the clamped end is lower than the other.

1 Like

Are you able to explain this a little more? I often clamp like what is depicted in this photo:

Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong …???

Thanks,

Jim

1 Like

You want the distal end of the clamp to be higher than the end which is clamped so as to have better leverage, and you want the clamp close to level so that it won’t by trying to pop the part out from under it.

See:

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up and best practices. I’m a big fan of Shurtape. Only issue I have with it, is it literally needs to be preyed off of the bed. I really only use the clamps to ensure no small lateral movements in the peice

I left the stepover larger to help with the sanding. Going to take my time with it.

Getting close! The machine ran great :+1:

7 Likes

@Gerry For the filigree and text on the hour glass, you are a 100% right, my engraver won’t achieve the cut I want. I have a laser that will cut that

I like the way you did those “rivets / bumps” on top. Try soaking the end grain on those dowels with shellac. Shellac sticks those fibers together enough to reduce tear out. Might work for you.

2 Likes

First day back in the garage from my trip. Lots of sanding to go!

5 Likes

I spent the weekend sanding. Going to push for this to be completed this week.

The grain on the black walnut is super nice!

This is fresh from the glue up, but I wanted to try my hand on marquetry. Not bad for my first try. This was cut on my laser.

Sanding complete, tomorrow I get to see all that hard work pay off

11 Likes

Super close to the original modeling. Came out super good and learned a lot!

19 Likes

Been awhile without a final update! Super pleased with the end result. Some minor imperfections, learned a lot, and glad this is finally out the house.

17 Likes

Superb design and a stunning realization.

4 Likes

Then there’s that “magic moment” when you knew that they were seeing it for the first time. +1

3 Likes