Wedding Vow waveform

I had someone ask me to do a waveform for them. They supplied the wood, stained it and most importantly the waveform.

I believe the wood is Alder, it measures 31" x 10.5" x.75", He used an Ebony stain which turned out pretty good. I was afraid it would soak into the wood and might not let the vcarve have a crisp contrast but it wasn’t an issue.

Bits used
.25 3 flute end mill
.0625 2 flute end mill
30 degree v- bit
60 degree v bit

Turned out pretty good, although I did have some issue with the flatness of the board
https://youtu.be/xmh3_MDq7pY

12 Likes

What a unique idea. I’ll bet we could sell a bazillion ones that say “All your base belong to us.” I’m going to use this somewhere.

5 Likes

Didn’t even think about that, but yea. Now you got me thinking of quotes to use

2 Likes

Seriously, I think this has extremely high nerd potential. I wonder about the licensing aspects if you were to use a recording from a movie, for example.

3 Likes

Create a waveform for the sound of a light saber starting up. You won’t be able to make them fast enough (until Disney comes over and burns your house down).

1 Like

If there were a phone app that you could take a picture of a wav form and have it convert that to sound…sort of like a barcode…that would be the ticket.

Jeremy, what were your steps to get the clip ready for whatever CAM program you used? My initial thought is to open the clip in Audacity and snipping tool the wavform, save it as a jpeg, bring it into Inkscape and do a bitmap trace and save that as an SVG (I haven’t tried it so that’s probably not going to work).

Nah a waveform visualized this way isn’t enough info to reverse engineer the sound that created it. But I love the idea and may use this as a gift for the next couple I know who gets married.

Very very cool - see what these people do - and the app they have. https://skinmotion.com/

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen something similar where they use a photograph but when viewed through the app it will play a video. In both cases it’s using image recognition algorithms to determine what it’s looking at against a database which has the original video/sound/etc. Very cool technology.

1 Like

@Boothecus, that is the steps that were taken.

The snipping tool selected the waveform. I imported into Corel Draw to create the SVG file. I then imported into V-carve for the rest of the process.

I could have used V-carve to process the snippet but corel gives more options when it comes to tracing. V-carve does have a Bitmap trace function.

1 Like

yeah. I suggested using that for the Shapeoko assembly instructions back when my day job was looking for something to do w/ Layar.