Weird thing happening with CC

Today I tried to design simple parts using Carbon Create (Mac V3.16), I have not used it in recent weeks because I have VCarve but if my little project works, I may make the files available here.

In the process, a few weird things happened but it gave me some opportunity to do a bit of troubleshooting. First, I was trying a few designs and toolpaths; I made an hexagon and created a toolpath and I did not like it so I deleted the toolpath and moved the hexagon. A grey hexagon that I cannot select remains in my design. It does nothing but it is in the middle.

Second, I tried a few cuts and decided to make a few changes to the design by the size of some elements. After making the changes to the design, I resaved my toolpaths. When I went to cut, I saw the bit basically move to Z0 before proceeding to move to the first point to cut. I will spare you the details about my troubleshooting but I found that my job default had changed to a Shapeoko (instead of an XL) and the safe retract height had changed to 0. In the process of fixing this, I realized that the safe retract is in mm not inches like the rest of the settings. I wonder why as this can lead to serious errors like cutting through clamps and other things you wouldn’t expect.

Last, I was creating a 0.1in pocket after I surfaced a section to the proper thickness. I changed the size of the section I was surfacing, not the thickness, then reculated the toolpaths. When I milled the part, the pocket start height returned to the surface of the board. Is this by design where you need to re-enter the pocket start height?

Anyone else has had this type of issue?

The retract height control in Carbide Create will change if it has focus and the scroll wheel is moved.

I have had my retract height control reset to zero several times. I never select or change it, on purpose anyway. Are you suggesting I might be selecting the control and scrolling my mouse inadvertently?

I’m not sure I understand, what do you mean by focus? I clicked in the retract height box in CC and used the wheel and nothing happened.

I also don’t understand why I have an artifact that remains in my CC file; something I cannot select and do anything with.

Please send in any files which you are having difficulty with in to us at support@carbide3d.com

Unfortunately, I deleted the problematic file in the process of fixing the issue. I will make sure that I keep a copy if these types of problem reoccur.

The “artifact” effect happens to me all the time when I delete a toolpath. If you save the file, open another file, and then re-open the original file it will be gone. Kind of pain though.

1 Like