Welcome sign with raised letters

This came out pretty nice, took longer to cut because of Z axis issues but I got it completed in 4 hours.
It’s ~ 14" X 21" out of oak.
I was going to paint it but my wife said try staining it, I think it would look better if I paint the tops of the letters black?

What do you think guys?
20220113_164903

8 Likes

Well, it is a sign. The purpose of a sign is to inform, so the information should be pronounced and visible.

(Just trying to give you some ammunition in your quest to succeed! :smiley: )

1 Like

Not meaning to be critical, I like the sign, but to me the letters look recessed not raised as stated in the title.
Am I wrong in what I perceive?

I think I would paint the recessed part instead of the raised lettering.

Here’s a relatively low effort way to paint/stain the raised portion.
Pre-stain or paint the material before you CNC. You could ballpark the location of the “Welcome” and paint just that area black, then when you CNC only the black/welcome remains untouched.

This is a picture of light wood, stained dark and then CNC’d.

7 Likes

And you can do the opposite by painting the recessed part then using a sanding block on the raised lettering. The only drawback to that is the vcarved “walls” will be painted and you may lose some of the visual appeal. You can always do an resin infill also.

Good suggestions guys, I wanted to paint the recess green with the letter tops black.
Guess I have to make another :wink:
Here are some angled pictures showing the text better.
Thanks for helping,
Pete
20220114_102018
20220114_102036

8 Likes

You made a nice sign. Several comments made may make it better. Paint is a lot easier than epoxy. After painting you can seal it all up with varnish.

Your carving and finishing look good.

Ahhh Yes! I see it much better now. Thanks!
Very Nice Sign!

Also, making a sign is very much the same as any other engineering project. The details get thought out before bit goes to wood.

I only say this, because its evident that you are now doing this for your second version and from now on. +1

When I do signs, I like to stain the board dark first, then cut the letters into the wood (which turn out white because I use maple). In your case, you would have painted or stained the wood a dark color, then run your CnC to cut the sign. The result would leave you with dark letters and frame and everything cut would be the natural color of the wood. Super simple.

5 Likes

Nice work but that’s some very thin walls on the text! Hope it stands up to its intended location

That is a great looking sign. In my opinion, the letters do need some contrast. Painting or staining the raised letters is an option. Epoxy filling the background would be very tempting for me just because I like epoxy, but picking the right color would be challenging for me.

Anyway, great work!

No worries. I am a simpleton when it comes to the CnC. I can send you the Gcode file or the V-Carve file if you’d like. Just message me your email address. No problem there as far as the font cutting goes, I guess the software does the work. I simply tell it I am using a V-carve, and put in the text. The software calculates everything else based on the thickness of the line within the text. If you are using a raised lettering like you did, then I’d use a 1/8th" endmill bit and cut to a depth of .20". Looks like I misunderstood the assignment. LOL.

Hi Steven;
I messaged you but maybe it didn’t go through. If you would send me the Gcode file and the V-Carve, I could maybe get a better handle on how this works so well for you and not for me.

Thanks
Frank
[email edited out, please you a private message instead]

Hi Frank,
Your sending this to me, not Steven. Give it another try :slight_smile:
Pete

(email address edited out of your message, for privacy concerns, folks can PM you instead)