What am I doing wrong with the 3D feature

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 2.11.54 PM
I’m trying to carve this strange oval shape with a 70 degree slope on the edge. I set height of angle to .49" material is .50" and set the base height to .01". However, in the simulation view the base height of the angle is much higher than .01". What am I missing here?

Could you post the file?

1 Like

I was just about to. But while closing the job setup tab just now Carbide Create crashed and I had not saved the document yet. Today is not my day lol.

9:23 circle slope.nc (230.4 KB)
Here’s a plane cicle I just did really fast with the same 3d model settings. Still having the same issue.

Please post a set of step-by-step instructions for creating a file which causes the problem you are having.

1 Like
  1. Create Circle.
  2. Select circle. Go to “Model” then “Add Shape”
  3. Shape setting “Angle” , 'Limit Height" height setting .49" and “Base” height set to 0.01"
    -at this point the 3d model within the “Model” section looks perfect.
  4. Create “3D Rough” toolpath with 'Stock to leave" set at 0.
  5. From there I go to view simulation and see that the base height from where the angle cut starts is at what appears to be 50% of material thickness.

Thanks for your help

@WillAdams

Is your stock thickness set to greater than .5?

It’s not. That was my initial thought.

Can you recreate the project and post the .c2d file along with a screenshot of the settings you used under the model tab?

1. Create Circle.

1. Select circle. Go to “Model” then “Add Shape”

1. Shape setting “Angle” , 'Limit Height" height setting .49" and “Base” height set to 0.01"
    -at this point the 3d model within the “Model” section looks perfect.

1. From there I go to view simulation and see that the base height from where the angle cut starts is at what appears to be 50% of material thickness.

In order to cut down to 0.01" the geometry will need to extend past the 3D model by the diameter of the endmill plus 10% — go back to the design tab and offset to the outside:

Use the new geometry to assign the toolpath:

It’s more obvious what is happening if you draw up things in profile:

Previously the tool could only reach in so far and so deep when using the original geometry.

Thanks for the response @WillAdams.

I’m using the Angle setting not the Round on the 3D model, but i’ll try what you said and see if that works.

I’ll also try updating Carbide Create. After seeing yours it’s clear that mine is a few months behind and missing the offset toolpath feature to set a specific offset path.

Thanks again for all of your help.

-Eliot

@WillAdams Just downloaded the v530 then went to the beta tab.

Now v614 is available for download so I’ll try downloading that one.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.