What could cause this to be so rough

This is a 3d model that I drew and exported to stl sand then drop in meshcam. I am looking at things in all three stages and can’t figure out why it’s that rough after a finishing park. The rest looks a lot smoother.

There are several suspects. First I would look at mechanical issues. If other projects are smooth then you may need to decrease step over to get a smoother finish. Typically if using a ball nose you have to use quite small step over or you get ridges. The end of a ball nose mill will cut a ditch if the step over is too much. The ball nose is cutting a semi circle and you have to decrease the step over on your finishing tool path to get a smoother surface. If you were using a flat end mill it cuts a flat strip and even with small step over you get flat ditches on a curved surface. Either tool, ball nose end mill or flat end mill, you will likely need to finish up curves like the spoon with sand paper.

The good news is when you get your spool finished you can eat up what you are making.

1 Like

Try running one more 3D finishing toolpath at 90 degrees to the previous one?

Then one more with a smaller tool at 45 degrees?

I may be wrong, but that looks like maple. As such, it may have a section of "tiger maper: figuration in it and when you cut it at a certain angle, it really rough. About the only way I have found to fix, if that is the case, it…sand. :disappointed_relieved:

What type of machine / Z Axis do you have? The “striping” on the bowl looks like you have play in the Z axis.

With the power on, but the spindle OFF, grab the collet and try to move up and down. It should be locked in place unless you really push on it. If there is any movement, look for mechanical problems.

If you have the Z Plus, one potential problem is the anti-backlash nut. It can wear out, and give some play.

1 Like

I am running a shapeoko 5 pro. It is Maple. I am running a 10% step over on a 1/4 ball.

I just checked for okay and things seem fine on that front. The roughness changes from one else to the other and when I am roughing it seems to be in dune spots and not others. Being material related makes a lot of sense now.

Similar marks on the flip side

Looks like some sort of mechanical interference — dust shoe hitting something?

I did not see anything hitting on anything.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.