What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Either on the inside or outside rod(s) can be used to hold a cap on the top. Just like the said hinge.

Please understand, I am not challenging his design, just an alternative design for functionality. Food for thought to spark other projects.

1 Like

Cool, but how does it rotate through the LED lamp? :blush:

The overall dimensions are 3"x9" but could easily have been shorter. The height was forced upon me by my choice of salt lamp cords but I liked the thumb-controlled dimmer. The tube-holding base was tall and I’ll likely find shorter ones when these run out. I could probably be built to 7.5" tall using these bulbs and even shorter with shorter tubes.

The bulb is LED, dimmable and are a warm 2700K. I’ve honestly not even detected heat emanating from the enclosure even after hours of use. Important topic but I don’t think heat is a concern in this design.

Getting the pivot figured out and designed was the only real challenge.

5 Likes

I’m confused with this question… The top of the ring is a track, the bottom is a rail. There is no going through the lamp, they move around the lamp. Each ring rotates on the one underneath individually.

I have no real dimensions. I drew up a quick representation of my thought of how it could be done.

Someone had posted a link to an application called Linkage. I have not had a chance to check it out but you might take a look at it if you continue to do projects that require linkage/pivots.

Here is a link to David Rector’s youtube channel. David makes the Linkage application.

1 Like

Got it.
That wasn’t apparent to me from the drawing.
Cool idea!

Salt and pepper tray my 10 year old niece helped me design.

31 Likes

Sorry, I thought the sliced view illustrated that.

2 Likes

Incredible progress you’ve made in such a time. Seeing what you’re up to is genuinely inspiring me to keep tinkering as well, so thanks for that :grin:

I’m about to start on my first serious wood project which will feature some brass sheet inlay. (Though I’ll probably just buy any hardware I need :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

That’s what I’m shooting for when I post in this thread. If I can do it, anybody can. Thank you.

Just a regular guy learning on a day to day basis. Confession, I’ve owned a Shapeoko for 6 or 7 years, I’m still pleasantly surprised when a project comes off without a glitch!

I’ll be curious to see your inlay results, please share! Hint, clear lacquer the piece prior to the inlay. Will avoid the mottled look mine has. Also, I did not finish the hinges at all. They will age naturally. Curious to see what they look like down the road.

Finished box.

21 Likes

isn’t it funny that 1/2" HDPE is $34 a square foot. But HDPE cutting boards can be had for $10 a square foot.

3 Likes

Here is a 4th axis adapter plate for my Avid machine at work. Has a couple locating features to center a cheap self centering vise and a pocket on the back to attach to the 4th axis. Tried to get everything within -0.0" to +0.003" and it worked out.

6 Likes

A couple of aluminum brackets. Daddy & baby bracket :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Just finished this today.

Fold-able back scratcher.

17 Likes

I have a brass back scratcher on my night stand. I noticed every night I was scratching my back. So I went to the mirror and saw a dark spot. I went to the dermatologist and I had a keratitis which is an over growth of skin cells. They burned it off and so now I occasionally use my back scratcher.

You back scratcher looks good. Did you put some magnets in to keep it open?

2 Likes

Not obvious to me, have to ask, what are bracketing? Looks good!

No, it freely moves, there is a slight bend when screwed in so it has a little resistance. It does open when in use the pressure scratching holds it open as well.

Pretty much anything that something else attaches to. I think usually with the express purpose of attaching or supporting another part.

The large bracket in the photo will hold a motor, a blower head, and the pulleys & belt that drive it.
The smaller bracket attaches to the larger bracket.

1 Like

Todd nice brown toolbox I got one just like it way back in the fifth grade. Honey I think I have the same tablesaw and freezer as well