What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Finally got them all done. Over 135 Advent Wreaths for our church family. One for every family in the church.

Burnt-out one router, 3 1/4" bits, 1 1/16" bit and went through a LOT of black walnut.

Took a month and a half to do it and miscut/lost 5 wreaths due to equip and operator error, but got it done~ YEA

19 Likes

Five failures out of 135 is a great percentage. They look great and I am sure the church will appreciate them.

2 Likes

I made a pair of clamps with soft jaws to hold down a stack of PCBs. Now I can bore out alignment holes in bulk :smiley:

Not super exciting, but they work perfectly!

Pic after I did first run with them

18 Likes

Batch processing makes you more efficient. I batch when ever I can.

2 Likes

I’m new to the community and I am impressed by your NPS Arrowhead. As an employee of the NPS, would you be willing to share the file?

Please see:

Really impressed with the results from a new bit I bought from Amana for face milling aluminum. It would have been a very expensive paper weight if it didn’t work well with the Shapeoko 5 and VFD Spindle. Next up I’ll be turning the shiny hunk of aluminum into paddle shifters.

11 Likes

Can you post details of the Amana face mill and the feeds and speeds you had success with?

1 Like

This was with the Amana RC-3402. Apparently I didn’t save the file but I think I was running it at 10,000 RPM at 60"/min. I think I did 2 passes at .010". I haven’t done any tweaking yet because the first try worked so well but there seems to be a lot of flexibility if you’re conservative with your depth of cut. With the 1.625" cutting diameter the facing is pretty quick although it looks ridiculous on a 1/4" shank.

There didn’t seem to be a lot of options that would fit in an ER11 collet and use replaceable inserts.

4 Likes

Single line in a spiral with a V-bit. The Z depth dictates the width of the line. Was pleasantly surprised when you get about 20+ feet away it becomes as clear as a photo.

So far the best results have actually been in some scraps for dry erase marker white board.

38 Likes

This is so very cool!
How did you go about this process?

1 Like

Cool! I’d like to know more as well. Is this all cut in one pass where the Z was varying on the fly? (I’m not sure any Carbide software can do this but I’m really interested if you found it possible.) Or separate passes for different depths. What software did you use? Christopher Walken?

Very cool!! (But it could use more cowbell) :smiley:

8 Likes

I was thinking that exact thing this morning when I saw it.

It is all using Carbide software with an advanced v-carve. I will post more details when I’m at my computer later tonight.

7 Likes

Hey Adam, What font is that?

I need more cow bell!!!

That is very neat! Would like more info aswell

• Find an image. Higher contract images seem to work the best
  • Go to https://spiralbetty.com/
  • Process your image and tweak the settings as you like
  • Download the image as an SVG (vector)
  • Open Carbide Create, make a new file and import the SVG (my sample is 10"x10")
  • Create an Advanced VCarve path
  • I found that a depth of 1.25mm seems to work well. You could go a little deeper possibly, but the width of the line limits the depth it goes anyway.
  • Off to the races carving. I have found that the samples I have done take about 12-18m but could probably be sped up quite a bit.

I have also found that this does not work well on something like plywood or soft wood like pine. I had the best luck with dry erase white board material. It has a pretty good laminate on the top and is manufacture wood underneath. Plus it’s white on top and dark underneath which gives the perfect contrast for the carve.

The finished products have amazed me on the clarity. Up close it looks like garbilygook, but gets better as you step back. At about 20+ ft it’s almost like a photo.

An added bonus is that on the 5 Pro it makes the machine make noise like a weird carnival piano.

28 Likes

Thank you for the step by step instructions. Again, great work.

2 Likes