What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Thanks! I really like the simple peter pan type of design.

1 Like

been setting up the Pro XXL, some issues but support is working through them. I didnt want to wait for a working bitsetter so I did an advanced vcarve and split the gcode into two files. manual Z height zero reset etc. had to run the v bit pass twice as I needed to go a little deeper, but that also worked well to clean out the gummy linolium out of the details. a toothbrush cleaned up the rest.

quite pleased with the first project on the new cnc

20 Likes

That looks amazing Steven!

1 Like

These are awesome! My day job is as an Occupational Therapy Assistant in an Elementary school - my special needs kids (mostly boys!!) would love this - is there somewhere I can purchase the design?

No need to buy them I will give them to you

3 Likes

Designed and made a skateboard from African Mahogany!

22 Likes

Working on a 35"x35" tabletop that will be assembled from four 17.5"x17.5" parts, here’s the first one after epoxy+surfacing+sanding

it’s 1.5" thick and the only endmill I have with such a long length of cut is very long, so I ended up only having a few mm left of travel at the top of the Z-plus. I had my hand on the E-stop and sweat rolled down my neck as I pressed “Start” :slight_smile:

What I learned in the process is that Acacia wood machines beautifully. The stock is from a 6’ long kitchen tabletop I had bought before it cost a kidney to buy solid wood.

22 Likes

That would be wonderful. Thank you so much.

That is certainly a good looking skateboard deck. Is this for show or riding. I would be careful because the laminated boards get their strength from the lamination. A solid deck may not take the shock as well as a laminated board. I could be wrong but be careful until you find out if this is strong enough to take jumps and grinding down a hand rail.

It’s used mainly for surfskating, no jumps on to rails or kickflips/ shock loads. I made it slightly thicker (in the middle and at the rails) than normal plywood decks too.

1 Like

I had no idea what surfskating was - now I want one

2 Likes

Just perfecting Nomad Aluminum roughing recipes, 3mm single flute, 6mm single flute, 0.125 three flute, 0.0625 two flute and my favorite, 2mm single flute. Going low depth, high stepover for most stable cut and best surface finish.

12 Likes

This is my favourite Nomad tool for Aluminium in my humble efforts too. I have no idea why but it seems to ‘complain’ less than the others.

1 Like

Looks good Sir. By any chance is there a list of what machines are already available on proven cut and what ones are going to be added?

C3D goblin . Boooooooo! It was my son‘s idea to add the lights.

18 Likes

Second project on my SO4 XXL:

Built an MDF fixture plate for my SO4 XXL. I made the plate 32"x32", and made 9 extra holes to hold it down with the channels of my hybrid table. I made a simple seating tool on my lathe to get the tee nuts below the surface of the countersink holes in the bottom.

Then none of the green hold down clamps would fit because the fixture plate is 1/4-20 (255 Tee nuts), so I made some from scrap wood.

10 Likes

Besure your hold down screws for the jig are lower than the surface of the hold down jig. The reason is if you surface the jig you dont want to hit the screw heads with the fly cutter. I used a hand reamer to recess my screws below the surface so I can surface a few times. I used flat head bolts to hold down my spoilboard.

Yes I was concerned about that too. I recessed the screws and used button head. I’ve got a 1/4” of top I can surface many times.
Thanks
Eric

Cut the other three quarters, some (more) sanding, and a dry fit:

(the alternate orientation of the wood grain in each quarter is definitely not a mistake I did not foresee…ahem…that’s a design choice…ahem)

While it’s a little amateur to just cut four quarters like that and hope that the angular errors won’t be too much in the butt joints, it seems like the squaring of my Pro is not too bad, and I might just get away with it:

11 Likes

I experienced a lot of threads stripping over time. I should replace at least 8- 10 of them by now. I’ve been avoiding them but it won’t last.
Be careful to always clean the threads out well and starting the screw by hand. I ordered some 3-d printed hold downs that work great, were cheap, and are easily cut should the bit run into them.
Heres the files;
The slots could be a hair larger for the 1/4" screws.

TNT_Clamps_v2.1
TNT_Clamps_v2.1.stl (140.1 KB)