What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Nice, I’d like to try some carving.

In the meantime, some easy metalwork. I needed to knock up some Aluminium plates to work as decorative / reinforcement plates for some wood strips we’re using as hangars for acoustic treatment panels. A friend is covering the ceiling of his studio in aluminium trusswork and acoustic panels. Yes, the same person I built the desk for.

A quick job, 3mm 6083T6 aluminium sheet.
Z zero on two layers of blue tape on the spoilboard, tape and glue only for workholding

Op 1
4mm carbide spot drill with a squirt of Isopropanol as lubricant to make the holes
Drilling op 3,500RPM in the spindle, plunge rate of 60 mm / min, pecking at 1mm depths

Op 2
4mm APT DLC single flute aluminium cutter
22kRPM
Boring at 250mm/min to keep the speed at the outside of the hole down, 2 degree ramp angle, finish stepover of 0.1mm
2D Contour at 1,000mm / min feedrate 1mm depth, ramping into the contour at 2 degrees, single finish stepover at full depth of 0.2mm to clean up the edges

Op 3
Trend 90degree wood chamfer cutter getting more abuse
22kRPM
2D Chamfer, 0.5mm, 1.5mm tip offset, 800mm/min

7 Likes

My first attempt on my new Shapeoko XXL so far its worked well

12 Likes

Adaptive roughed 4140 steel on the HDM today :slight_smile:

7 Likes

We going to see a video on this? That would be slick.

Still dialing things in but here are a couple vids.

4140 Adaptive side milling and some initial boring with the same 1/4 tool. I’m probably going to lower the spindle rpm to the 8k minimum and add a light mist coolant to get things going perfect. This machine has the power but SFM limited materials will require some creativity. No feeds and speeds yet but everything looks very promising.

Ok, Bore take #2. 8krpm on the 1.5kw didn’t have any trouble with power delivery. Minimal mist is working well. Adjusted the feeds and speeds to be a little more aggressive to help produce a chip that will manage the heat better.

19 Likes

Inspired by a post in this thread, decided to do something I’ve not done in 60 years…build a skateboard. Two actually.

First is done, screwed up the second so trying to turn a mistake into a feature…stay tuned.

Very simple design, kids are pretty young, first skateboard for each. Too big I’m sure, they’ll grow into them.

Started with some hardwood off cuts.

Sliced ‘em into 1” strips, glued ‘em up, resawed to 2 halves, slightly over 1/2” thick.

Quick sketch in Fusion, camed one end, cut out the end, flipped the stock, cut the other end. Easy easy.

17 Likes

Griff

Your logo was that vcarved or is it a stamp/branding iron?

Did that on a whim, vcarved.

1 Like

Now to carve a kick tail and add some grip tape! I am curious to see how the glued joints hold up

@Vince.Fab i am loving your work, loving your proven cuts too :wink: & love hearing you being discussed as a good worker on the BOM Podcasts - Congratulations on your success - live your best life!

3 Likes

Working on a kick-tail design for my next attempt. We’ll see on the grip tape.

Glue joints should hold up for little kids. I doubt for full on grinding adults however.

1 Like

Nice work Griff! What kind of trucks are you running on the board?

Good evening to all.

I have been getting time here and there to make some wood chips on my SO Pro XXL.

I’m currently working on a 10 ft table, Sooo making wood chips and wet polyurethane don’t really mix that well.

Thank you to @Robgrz, @Julien, and @WillAdams for their prompt support of questions I had. A little saying I cut.

This one was supposed to have some wording underneath it, :roll_eyes: but I was trying to learn how to do V carving, but the bit started cutting MUCH too deep. I stopped the program before it cut through the wood and into my wasteboard and aluminum T-rails. So I pulled the wood out and cut that edge off all together.

3 Likes

For this exercise, cheap Chinese, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081T4FR6P/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_6P1ZEWWE99X833DVFRM2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We’ll see how the kids evolve and upgrade decks and trucks as warranted by ability.

Sapele cribbage board. Got the top carved already. The base is on the CNC right now. The base holds the cards and pegs and is held to to top with magnets. Pretty happy with how this one turned.

13 Likes

Griff,

My grandson was in his tech school training in the USAF and on a weekend day a bunch of airman were playing outside the barracks with a skate board. There were no pads or helments. My grandson fell off the skate board and cracked his arm. As a result he was removed from ordance training. When he was well the next training available was B-52 maintenance. He took it and wound up at Minot AFB in North Dakota for 3 years. Somehow the butt hole and armpit are connected at Minot. Bitterly cold in the winter and hot as hades in the summer working 10-12 hours a day 6-7 days a week. He helped keep them flying round the clock and all over the world.

When I was 8 they did not have skateboards. I had a quart paint can and a board I was trying to surf. I fell off and cracked my arm a few days before school was out. So all summer I had a cast on my arm and could only watch others swim. It was a long and miserable summer.

The morale of these two stories is buy pads and helments and make the kids wear them even when not supervised.

5 Likes

Indeed, kids are set with pads and helmets.

My skateboard story. No kidding, 2x4 and steel wheels from roller skates. Northridge Ca, 1964, wailing down the sidewalk on Reseda Blvd, hit a pebble, wiped out, no broken bones but a broken blood vessel in my left arm, looked like Popeye until I had it drained.

1 Like

Where did you get the topography maps? I’ve been looking everywhere for clean topographic depths of the Chesapeake and haven’t been able to find a thing!

Becky

Maybe here?

https://jthatch.com/Terrain2STL/

1 Like

What you are looking for is actually bathymetric data. Topography is land, bathymetry under water :slight_smile: That will hopefully help you find the right dataset.

6 Likes