What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Pirate swag!

9 Likes

Do you have pictures of the soft jaw setup I’d love to see it?

2 Likes

Decided to try and organize my bits as having them all in a big pile was starting to get annoying. Made this for my 1/8th ones.

Freshly cut

Cleaned up

With the bits

Going to make a small acrylic lid to go on top and might try and cut some feet outta the bottom there.

19 Likes

First project using new bit setter and advanced V carve. Wedding gift. Cherry wood with Alder insert.

20 Likes

finished the 3rd out of a total of 4 of these keychains I had machined the first side of. one of them failed due to my error, but these three are perfect! or at least as perfect as a two sided operation using only an amazon touch probe can be.

the worst error on one of them is about .19mm the other two, my amazon calipers cant tell the difference.

after a little use or tumbling, im sure it would pretty much disappear.

11 Likes

I really liked that bit holder I made yesterday so I figured I’d make another, this time for all my pcb milling bits

Freshly finished

Filled with the bits

12 Likes

They look like they were cast. Did you just pocket out the square or make the whole thing?
Is it zinc?

nope machined each one out of brass.

8 Likes

More wood saved from the wood pile!

12" dia. 1 1/4" thick Ash cut down 4 years ago to build a local road, sliced with the band-saw.

31 Likes

Very nice. I love ash but it is a very hard wood. Sometimes it has figure like yours but a lot of it is very plain jane. I like your trees in silhouette . The way the wavy grain almost looks like a sunset/sunrise. Quite nice.

Did you use one of those battery operated clocks?

Thanks for the comments Guy. The figuring was just crying out to be used for something other than keeping us warm this winter.

Yes it is an electronic, sweep arm, clock. Initially it had the “tick” version fitted, but that got vetoed!

I like your clock and stand behind the “Tick” veto 100% as I can’t stand that sound.

I bought a nice minimalist brushed nickel clock years ago that had no second hand thinking it was going to be perfect until I got it setup and that stupid thing started ticking. I wanted to smash it but just let it ride until the battery died and now it’s only right twice a day but I like the look so I left it on the wall to mess with people.

5 Likes

There is an amazing amount of beautiful wood that gets burned up. Gotta keep warm.

I pulled some figured maple aside from a pile of split wood. Not enough for something like this, but I got some letters for an inlay out of it.

1 Like

Made some trays for a local catering company, 4/4 walnut, played with making mitres with the #301 90 degree bit.

the lines on the mitre were because my toolpaths were .25" apart and the cutter didnt quite have enough on the cutting edge to get those, but they cleaned up super easy with a scraper prior to glue up.

IMG_8525 (1)

13 Likes

Finally got them all done. Over 135 Advent Wreaths for our church family. One for every family in the church.

Burnt-out one router, 3 1/4" bits, 1 1/16" bit and went through a LOT of black walnut.

Took a month and a half to do it and miscut/lost 5 wreaths due to equip and operator error, but got it done~ YEA

19 Likes

Five failures out of 135 is a great percentage. They look great and I am sure the church will appreciate them.

2 Likes

I made a pair of clamps with soft jaws to hold down a stack of PCBs. Now I can bore out alignment holes in bulk :smiley:

Not super exciting, but they work perfectly!

Pic after I did first run with them

18 Likes

Batch processing makes you more efficient. I batch when ever I can.

2 Likes

I’m new to the community and I am impressed by your NPS Arrowhead. As an employee of the NPS, would you be willing to share the file?