What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

A lot of jewelers use this to hold settings while working on them. It’s reusable and softens in warm water then gets hard when cool. I plan on giving it a try the next time I mill something small.

Jett Basic™ Fixturing Compound - RioGrande

1 Like

Looks GREAT Julien !
I’m sure you will be asked to do some of these for other kitchens!

Hey Alex - that’s fantastic! I’d like to cut a similar topographic/relief part for my brother-in-law, who recently bought 41 hilly acres in Kentucky. I’d very much appreciate it if you’re willing to provide some details of the process. A few questions that come to mind are:

1. How/where do you get or create the point-cloud 3D model? Somehow from Google Earth?

2. What is that material?? Aluminum?

3. What cutting bit did you use?

4. What speeds & feeds did you use?

5. How long did the cut take overall? I would believe it if you said days.

Thanks,
Mike

Organizer tray for my office desk.
Drawing was done in CC, but decided to use F360 for CAM for its adaptive clearing. Then I used F-Engrave to calculate the engraving and inlay.

35 Likes

Do people still have desks? Seems like most people have a computer/laptop and a monitor and no real desk space. :star_struck:

For the past 15 years or so, with a few exceptions for pandemics etc., we host an open house on Thanksgiving morning where friends stop by for drinks and snacks before heading off to there bigger celebrations.

Usually I tape some paper signs up to help everyone navigate the beer selections, but realized on Sunday I could step up my game a little this year. Last couple of days I produced these. With more time they could have been better, but more than good enough for their purpose.

I finally installed CC v7 and tried out the new text on an arc feature. Behaves a little funky when first turning it on, but easy enough to sort out. Also my first project with MDF (1/4") which went smoothly, although a few things I need to figure out to improve the results, but overall I like it.

Next year I will plan my time a little better and get the sign for the cider cooler done.

12 Likes

Not a wood handle inserted directly. It will burn when heated

A nightlight for my daughter. Cherry with edgelit acrylic. The image in the display is an axolotl character that my daughter designed. Dials in the back control color and brightness. Used a raspberry pi pico for the controller.

12 Likes

It depends on the length of the steel rod.

Mike,
For the point cloud there is several website available. I’m working on one of the grand Canyon and using the following site to get the point cloud:

It has best case 10meter resolution, so not sure if it would work for a 41 acre plot (an acre is 63 meters on a side, so the 41 acres would be 40 x 40 data points if square)

2 Likes

Another geek CNC project…

13 Likes

There is a great video from Winston on this. I have just completed two in the last couple days. Super easy. Machining time varies, mine were in the neighborhood of 3 hours in pine. Link for the height mapping below:

https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/#10.84343/44.3686/-91.9306

1 Like

Great link, thank you!

Ah, cool! Thanks, Jarrad - I’ll have a look.

Mike

Thank you, Dan! Very neighborly of you. Thanks especially for the details about the resolution. I’ll check that site out and see if I can find the 41 acres (it’s rectangular - about 2:1, by the way) and download it and see how it looks in SolidWorks.

Mike

When your wife is a Kindergarten teacher you gets some strange requests. 40 Christmas ornaments with a window for a picture so the kids can decorate as a gift for their parents.

27 Likes

Those Christmas ornaments are cute. You are going to make 80 parents very happy.

1 Like

Nice. Hope you don’t mind if I use this idea for my granddaughter’s class? 1x1 then 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 for the inset?

Use away. Mine is a little large but that is the general offset, yes.

This reminded me of the 35 Rainbows I made for a cousin’s 3rd Graders that she had to deliver to their homes as it was still lock-down time for them.

Great idea though! Saw something similar, but only in paper at our Thanksgiving gathering.

2 Likes