What is going on? (Misaligned Toolpaths)

After i change the bit my shapeoko 4 decided to have a mind of its own! Do i have to use the probe after every bit change?

I think the bit change was coincidental. Looks like your X axis is not moving as commanded, so look for anything loose, obstructions (could the bit change action have run into anything), or loose wiring.

If you have the BitSetter it will set the zero when it calls for a tool change. If not then yes you have to manually re-zero after a tool change.

1 Like

Any chance you moved the gantry while changing the bit?

1 Like

No i didn’t move it at all

I’m going to go through the whole machine this weekend and check all the wiring.

Was the change (or lack of) in Z-axis height accompanied by an awful sound?

If you have an SO4 or SO Pro send photos showing the Z-axis motor wiring and connectors to support@carbide3d.com

nice, a little bucky carving :slight_smile:

Hopefully you aren’t selling that, as you need to be licensed to use. I only know because i’m going through the process right now to get officially licensed for the Wisconsin logos.

Not selling it. Just making projects to get used to the machine

Go through the machine and check for anything loose. Looks like things are slipping.

Are you using upcut/downcut? what bits you using?

Im using a #102 1/8 end mill

Its actually a flat cutter

Gotcha, not sure on the piece size overall, on the bucky alot of it looks clean and then all the sudden a ton of tearout, like the bit broke or something.

If you are using carbide, you can share your files too and we can take a look just to see if there is any issues with the toolpaths as well.

I am using carbide but I’m not sure how to share my toolpaths.

You can just post the c2d file here

1 Like

There is a loose wire in the drag chain. It’s ruining multiple projects. When I wiggle the x wires connected to the stepper motor it makes jogging and cracking noises. I need a new drag chain with new wiring. This is quite frustrating.

There is a loose wire in the drag chain. It’s ruining multiple projects. When I wiggle the x wires connected to the stepper motor it makes jogging and cracking noises. I need a new drag chain with new wiring.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.