What kind of end mill to use for flattening stock?

I’ve seen several comments on flattening waste board and stock, what is the best end mill for the job?

If you are using a Shapeoko 3 with the DW611 then I would recommend a straight flute router bit. As for size, the biggest you can get with a 1/4" shank! Something in the 1 1/2" sort of size should be fine.

NB: This probably won’t work for flattening aluminium stock unless you take really shallow passes. But then again, aluminium stock tends to be pretty flat so as long as you flatten your waste and spoil board you should be fine!

1 Like

Sorry, yes, Shapeoko 3 XXL with DW611 for wood. So, really any flat router bit with a 1/4" shank?

yes it’s a router so it can use router bits. I purchased a 1 1/4" resurfacing bit just for this task. I user a 3/4 router bit until I upgraded :slight_smile:

1 Like

@UncommonDad Yep! Pretty much! make sure it is new or freshly sharpened for the best results :slight_smile:

Thx Guys! :grinning:

1 Like

I have ordered one of thesew surfacing bits but CC is asking me for the tool settings and I’m too much of a noob still. It wants plungerate, feedrate, rpm and depth. Anyone got any suggestions for hardwood?

What bid is suggested to be used with the standard router that comes with the shapeoko 3xl?

I’m cheap — I use the bundled #201 where I can, including for surfacing.

1 Like