What should we call this command?

In a recent discussion about the new fillet command, @GJM asked for a “fillet all” option, which has potential for some implementation and support options. He viewed filleting every corner as a way to smooth a curve. (apologies if I’m mischaracterizing your POV)

We knocked together the first test of a different command that rounds every corner in a vector by a series of offsets in, out, and then back in. Here’s a preview:

Gary thought of it as “smoothing”. I’d call it a Straight Inlay command because it converts the vectors to a path that can be used for simple straight inlays, although that pigeon-holes it into one use.

What would you expect for this command to be called?

1 Like

“Fillet All”? Pretty descriptive, simple and to the point.

5 Likes

I like SAC or SMOOTH ALL.CORNERS.

I would go with “Apply To All” - because you indicated that “Fillet”-ing isn’t the only thing the command will be used for. You indicated dog-bone, flipped fillet, etc.

EDIT: In fact, since you are going to use it for all types of corners - I would call the tool itself “Corner Tool” or something like that. Then, in the dialog, if you have a “Corner Type” pulldown, you could have an “apply to all corners” button

This is fundamentally different code than the true fillet command, even if the effects seem similar, so it will need to be a separate command.

It will only work with rounded corners, not any other types of corner treatments. It will, however, handle all of the degenerate cases where fillets may overlap or where there are non-adjacent segments that end up running into each other.

1 Like

I mean, that works for me…I was basing my thoughts on your comment last week:

So if it’s fillets only, call it a fillet tool — but if you have more corner types in mind, then maybe “Corner Tool” makes more sense?

I think that might be it:

New command → Fillet All
Fillet command from last week → Corner Tool

2 Likes

Are you thinking that “Fillet All” is on the dialog of the Corner Tool? I think that’s best…not a stand-alone tool, right? I mean, you’ll want to see what CC thinks are the corners before hitting Fillet All.

And then, if you’re doing one of the other corner treatments, is Fillet All still a valid name?

@robgrz This is kind of what I have in mind…

And “Apply to All” would do whatever would have been done had the user clicked all the corners…

EDIT (Again): Added a selection for the type of corner mod (when available)

Is it fundamentally “Inlay-ready”… or at least that for sure is what I would end up using it for
but I suppose that’s ambiguous in language

“Fit to endmill” is maybe more natural way of thinking about it (and I’m sure it’s a triple layer violation if this would even let you select an actual endmill out of your library)

It’s not just for inlays…I’d use this tool to help me fit lids of boxes onto bodies of boxes…or to create cams that fit into sockets in break-down furniture. So, while inlays are one use, it would be (maybe) confusing to label it that way. You’re modifying the corners…that’s what you’re doing. That’s how I see it, anyway.

1 Like

Ok, give it a shot:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/beta

We went with two commands, Fillet All and Corner Tool because the results vary so much, both in terms of the output and the suitable input vectors.

2 Likes

I can’t find “fillet all”…am I missing something?

Wait…my page still is 634…I’ll refresh

OK…works well. Nice touch leaving the old vector by choice.

We’re learning… slowly.

2 Likes

OOOH! and you even respect what layer is active!!! Things just keep getting better :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.