What Type of Tablet Are You Using?

I have read that a sealed tablet is probably best for use with the Shapeoko but, although we have owned seven Macs and about a dozen PCs, I know nothing about tablets.

I would welcome a suggestion on what to shop for.

I have a dedicated surface pro. I’ve had no trouble with it whatsoever.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I use. It’s got a fan but the fan hardly, if ever, runs so it isn’t constantly sucking in dust

1 Like

I use a Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 and Samsung Galaxy Book 12 (both discontinued).

The Surface Go has worked well for some folks, with others complaining of performance.

The RCA Cambio continue to be available and popular and works well for folks who limit its usage to access to a network file store and running Carbide Motion despite its failing to meet the system requirements.

If budget allows, I’d suggest getting a 64-bit machine.

FWIW, I’m still waiting on delivery of a touch screen and case for my Raspberry Pi.

What’s with this Raspberry Pi, thingy?

I baled from Windoze machines after a backup didn’t, and I lost all my data - yep, every flippin’ bit of it - and settled on a Mac and time machine backups, which has not let me down since.

But my Macbook Air is also a bit dated, now not supporting the Big Sur upgrade and not very good at keeping a charge, and they’re a bit prohibitively priced for a retired old git like me!

Earlier comments made me look at a Raspberry Pi, which is less than £200 (rather than just under £2,000!) but I can’t see how it could replace a tablet or laptop.

Does it, and what else do I need to know? I’m assuming it won’t run CC, but will run CM?

Thanks

Peter, check this thread. Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi
I picked up the 10.5” touch screen linked in the thread. That and a Pi are all you need Sub $200.

1 Like

Correct, there is not (yet?) a version of Carbide Create for Raspberry Pi.

@clintonmagus here’s a well reviewed option for a win10 tablet that I have if you want something to run both CC & CM.

CHUWI Hi10 X,10.1inch Tablet PC,Windows10 Intel N4100,Quad Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM,1920X1200 IPS Screen,Type-C,BT5.0,WiFi,2 in 1 Tablet(6GB,128GB)
by CHUWI
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08319MF76/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9470BQM1JYS5F1HNCD4X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I use a Surface 5 on an XXL. My son uses a Surface 7 on his XXL.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.