What would you like to design in 3D in Carbide Create Pro

I can sand the outside smooth. I think the challenge is going to be cutting curved components that have a cross-section that looks like this:

One side modeled, the other side flat - as it goes around a curve

OK…not too bad. I had to do a little playful finagling, but ;I’ve got enough technique to know I’ll get it.

I needed to create a false perimeter to get the angle to be one-sided.

Next trick is sizing the steps…which I COULD do with layers and trail-and-error

1 Like

OK…so now I have two stacked layers…I think I kind of have a beat on this.

I’m trying to organize with layers, but I’ve got to say, the interface (for me) is very counter-intuitive. Trying to use the same vector to represent the inside of one layered object and the outside of a different layer’s object is impossible without replicating the vector…which isn’t what I want because they represent the same point and should always be the same line.

NOTE: I realize that the outer angles don’t line up … I will make that happen when I actually do the design…i’m just working through technique at this point

I would highly recommend drawing up a side / section view like I did above. Then you can just measure each layer to get dimensions. No guessing or trial&error.
Pro-Tip: You can run 2 instances of CC. Do your section view in one, and your workpieces in another. :wink:

1 Like

Can you recommend any software (or PhotoShop plug-ins) for creating 3D depth maps from images?

The one time I’ve created a depth map, I drew it up in a vector drawing program, then exported it:

1 Like

Been running some numbers, as in the movie Jaws, "You need a bigger (BOAT)CNC/software/wood

Sorry my excel is a bit cryptic.

Nice work Tod/Will

1 Like

Automatically? I don’t think it’s possible from a regular 2d image without artificial intelligence.

1 Like

Well, not necessarily a ‘select-and-click’ solution (although that would be a wow solution), but anything that converts to greyscale, identifies contour and provides depth setting configuration. That may be a “wow” solution and unavailable as well.

MeshCAM used to have an option where one imported a pixel image and assigned depths/heights/modeling to different colours/regions — I don’t believe it is in current versions. @robgrz could speak to when it was last available and why it went away.

Yeah, a recurring theme on support is explaining to folks that there’s a reason why companies which sell depth maps are perfectly willing to show an image of the finished piece, but the depth map itself is only shown as a tiny thumbnail w/ a watermark.

one of the most basic features (maybe it is there and I just haven’t figured it out yet) is to be able to create an offset/relief. Since it’s a PNG, we can’t create an offset. This offset helps with 3D in both time of the job, as well as creates relief for ball bit on the edges.

Right now have to get creative, and use Inkscape or light burn to create the offset of image, then import into CC and “try” to get the scale right.

1 Like

One of the items I’ve been trying to work out is putting a ridge on the inside on a chamfer. Think of rifling of a barrel but on the outside of the barrel & the rifling is a ridge that is @ 3/16” high.

I would like to do a project like this in several pieces of course. Maybe cut the front then mirror image the back and glue them together

Tad

Search YouTube for T Rex CNC you should get a guy Dennis Van hoof. He makes a tea Rex on a shapeoko He’s like the Yoda of CNC

You’re supposed project to be done very much like he does his T Rex

2 Likes

But, Tad was providing his answer to the question that was asked “What would you like to design in 3D in Carbide Create Pro”.

4 Likes

I create the same products with the only variable being the terrain, the height settings and such are always the same but I have to upload the image and set up the parameters each time. It’d be nice to edit the model component and replace the image, and honestly it’d be nice to edit the parameters after the fact too.
Example below.

Beyond that, I find that deleting one component sometime deletes other components for whatever reason.

1 Like

Please send any files which have this problem (revert back to a state which has both components) in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll try to have a developer look into them.

very cool ! thank you!!

I have had this happen as well you try to delete a component And two will delete