What's not happening?

So, I finally got my Shapeoko 4XL assembled and tried to get it running. Following the startup instructions in the assembly manual, I tested the proximity switches, the X and Y limit switches worked fine. However, the Z limit switch didn’t. It was my fault on that one. I found and fixed that problem.

When I tried to initialize the machine from Carbide Motion the Z axis moved up to its limit, however X and Y didn’t move at all. I shut it off and opened the controller cover to look for any wires that weren’t plugged in properly. Everything looked good.

The next time clicked on the “Initialize” button the Z axis moved to the bottom of travel and stopped. The X and Y axes again didn’t move.

I rebooted the machine several times and it still wouldn’t move.

Also, Carbide Motion would close by itself somewhat randomly several times, usually after I clicked on the “Initialize” button.

I’m controlling it with a dedicated PC running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Any ideas on what I’m doing or not doing?

Regards
Dave Law

Usually when the Z axis goes the wrong way you have:
1… Picked the wrong Z
2. You have not send the initial configuration

The Z-Plus is the standard that is shipped with most Shapeoko machines. It is sometimes refereed to as “LeadScrew”. The other options are the HDZ which is refereed to as “BallScrew” or the original Belt Z which is no longer send out on new machines. The HDZ and Belt Z stepper motor rotates in the opposite direction from a Z-Plus

If you connect to the machine DO NOT INITIALIZE. Instead connect and go to the settings and pick you configuration. On the first Tab Pick your machine type and Z type. In the second tab uncheck the BitSetter and automatic spindle control. If you have a BitSetter you will set that up after you get initialized. The newest versions of Carbide Motion have slightly moved the items on the tabs around so just look around. After you have unchecked the BitSetter go back to the first tab and send the configuration. You will be asked to confirm your Z type once again. After you send the configuration then you can try to initialize. Sometimes you may have to adjust the inductive switches because they work with the wrench but are not close enough to trigger when the machine homes. this is a minor adjustment.

Sending the configuration to the machine sets up your machine but it also configures Carbide Motion so it knows what kind of machine you have. Carbide Motion is not auto magical and does not know what kind of machine you are connected to.

After you get initialized when you go to jog the default is the smallest increment and you may think the machine is not moving. Increase the increment with the + and the machine should jog around.

I followed the instructions in the assembly manual and selected the configurations for the machine size and Z axis type first before trying to initialize.

The X and Y axes didn’t move so they never got close to their respective proximity switches.

I did notice when the X and Z axis is manually moved to the home position the Z mounting plate is against the respective proximity switch

When you power up and connect please go to Settings — what shows there under Active Inputs?

To confirm, all the wiring and connectors are in good shape and secure and properly connected?

Could you send a video in to support@carbide3d.com?

It will be tomorrow before I can get back to the machine.

I’ll go over the wiring and check everything, I’m sure the proximity switches are all connected correctly because they checked out per the instructions in the Assembly Manual.

Did you send the correct machine configuration?

Is the motor wiring correct?

I was back at the machine this afternoon, here’s what happened.

I started Carbide Create again and connected to machine. I looked in Settings-Active Inputs and it said “No Active Pins”.

I looked at the wiring and one of the proximity switches was disconnected. I plugged it back together and things started working, that was encouraging. The Z axis homed and the X axis homed, however the Y axis moved to the home position and the stepper motors stalled and made a growling noise. I turned it off, manually moved the gantry to the front of the bed, turned it on and triggered the proximity sensor with a metal wrench. This showed the sensor was working. I concluded the trigger pin was not close enough to the sensor. The sensor was adjusted to the upper limit of its adjustment. What should the clearance between the trigger pin and the sensor be for it to work properly?

I looked at the Configuration and it was set to “Shapeoko 4”. However, when I looked at the “Load Defaults” it showed “Shapeoko 3XXL” and “HDZ (ballscrew)”. I selected “Shapeoko 4XL”, pressed “OK” and then selected “Z plus (leadscrew)” and pressed “OK”. I opened “Load Defaults” again and it had reverted back to “Shapeoko 3XXL” and “HDZ (Ballscrew)”. What is the “Load Defaults” selection supposed to do?

For configuration, please see:

Can the machine move mechanically so as to activate the homing switches? Do they need to be adjusted?

See:

The X and Z homing switches function correctly. The Y homing switch doesn’t trigger because the clearance between the triggering pin on the gantry and the homing switch is too much. The adjustment on the Y homing switch is at its upper limit (the SHCS are at the bottom of the slots). What should the operating clearance between the trigger pin and the homing switch be for the switch to operate correctly?

I’m thinking a bent metal bracket with an adjustment slot would be a better solution to the problem rather than fixed diameter pin with no vertical adjustment since the homing switch is at the limit of its positional adjustment. Another solution would be trigger pins of different diameters to get the clearance required for the homing switch to function.

Send some photos in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get this sorted out w/ you.

Problem solved.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.