When inlay carving, is it to completely separate files that you wanna different times?

I’m working on learning to do inlays and my question was when you mirror the image do you make this all on one file or do you need a second file that you run separately?

I would recommend a second file. So save your female pocket and then edit the image by flipping and deleting the tool paths for the female pocket. Then save as a new file. Create your tool paths for the male inlay and save.

You could create the female pocket, save, reverse the image, disable the female pocket tool paths and create new ones. However if you ever need to use the file again or redo your original you have to start editing and that can lead to mistakes. So use two files, one for the female pocket and one for the male

For me I have a CNC Router directory on the desktop. Inside that folder are many sub folders like images, installers and Project_Templates. Inside the Project_Templates are more sub directories. However many times I have multiple C2D files for the same project. An example is a box I am making for my grandson has one file for the lid of the box top. Then a second file for the inside of the reverse side of the lid. You can also make variations of a project and save each one as a separate file. Another example would be making a trinket box for multiple people. You can have the same tool paths for cutting out the box but separate ones for different names or themes for separate people. All of the multiple boxes are in the same directory for me but separate files for each one. So maybe a file just to cut the box out and separate ones for the carving on the box top for each person.

3 Likes

Thanks a ton for the advice! I am quickly learning the need for lots of sub files also.

for an inlay step by step tutorial: Creating inlays using the new Carbide Create feature

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.