Where do you buy aluminum material

Hey guys, been away for quite a while, but over the last couple years I have made a lot with my s3 xxl. I just ordered a s5 pro and I’d like to get into cutting aluminum. Where do you guys purchase your aluminum from?

1 Like

Midweststeel is my go to. Midwest Steel and Aluminum | Buy Metal Online | Online Metal Supplier

4 Likes

I got much faster shipping times from Stoner Metals, they file the edges on the cuts also.
Stoner Metals on Ebay

4 Likes

Thank you guys for the suggestions! Looks like they are both great possibilities. Any more suggestions out there? Just trying to have as many options as possible. One of the things I’m considering is an aluminum bed plate for the s5 when it arrives. I’m up in the air on if I just want half of the 2x4 bed aluminum for metalworking and then mdf on the remaining or if I should just do it all. Possibly 2 plates so I can remove one if I need to for whatever reason. Thoughts on that?

The Hybrid T-track is amazing in terms of the rigidity which it imparts — I’d suggest using it as-is for at least a bit.

I am lucky enough to have a metal surplus shop by me but the material choices change depending on what they get in each month. I buy from Stoner metals some times but the shipping makes the total cost 3x what I pay at the surplus shop. I have bought most of their 4" x12’ x 5/8" 6061 aluminum and am dreading the day I have to pay retail and shipping for 4" x 5/8" 6061 bar stock.

Check online to see if you have any local metal vendors or machine shops that will sell drops as you will save a lot of money.

1 Like

I order most non-precious metals from McMaster-Carr. Their stock is exhaustive! All grades, shapes and sizes. At least for me in CA, the shipping is remarkably quick.

IF you are even close to Denver, CO you need to check out ALRECO! If you don’t, I think the options listed are probably just fine. FWIW, ALRECO carries both new AL stock as well as tons of leftover/recycled stuff, big round plates, square plates, odd ball stuff, if it’s AL they probably have it. And good prices (at least locally).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.