Where does this come from? Screw found after small disaster

I turned away for a moment…and my collet slipped as the bit hit a knot, the bit loosened and before I could stop the machine, the bit traveled through the bottom of the piece into my spoilboard and things shook a lot. When I finally got the piece out from under the bit, I found this screw sitting on my spoilboard.

I’m 99% sure it’s from the Shapeoko, but I could not find where it came from. All screws seem in place. I’m not going to run the machine until I found its home.

Can someone help me?

What kind of tape measure is that? Inches on one side and half inches on the other?

Just the first of a dozen tapes I found in my shop. It’s a “Center Finder”. It’s a gimmick measure for the mathematically challenged…you measure a piece with the inch side, then find that same mark on the other side, and you have the exact center.

1 Like

That’s a long guy. Looks like it should have a spacer that fell out with it from the X-axis motor or X or Y limit switch mounts?

Nope. Unfortunately not.

If it helps, it’s a 3mm hex cap screw.

Limit switch?
Which machine/version?

All 3 limit switches are attached properly. XXL

OK…Mike from support solved it! It’s the set screw for the Z axis belt tensioner.
A little tough to see there (and a b#$% to get in without taking apart the whole Z Axis…but I did it).

Carbide support to the rescue!

Now…how to keep the bit from slipping…

And that isn’t my hand, BTW.

5 Likes

Aaah…I never had that screw. Back in the early days, we just had to lift the machine by the sliding Z motor before tightening it down.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.