White Oak Wooden Spoon: Afternoon Project

I just got back from holiday and needed something to warm me up before diving back into my Dodecahedron Speaker build. So i made a quick wooden spoon out of some spare oak :slight_smile: I machined the rough profile and used a ball mill for the bowl of the spoon and finished the handle to a point by hand.

I’ll be updating my speaker build and hope to finish it in the next week or two so check back here: DoDecahedron Speaker Build for updates!

Anyone know what the best finish for wooden spoons is? I want to be able to use it for cooking!

1 Like

Olive Oil
(twenty characters)

1 Like

My wife works for a large manufacturer of kitchen items, and most chefs ask for food grade oils (e.g. corn oil)

Perfect, i’ll go for olive oil as that’s what I have :slight_smile:

If it’s going to be used for food, the spoon ideally should be sanitized before you season it.

Soak the spoon in a diluted vinegar/water solution (ideally white distilled vinegar). A typical ratio is 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water. Let it soak for about 30 minutes.

Let the spoon completely dry. It might take several days if you let it air dry, but you can speed it up by letting it dry in an oven at the lowest temperature (typically 170F).

Then, wipe the spoon with a coat of olive oil and put it on an oven pan. Put the pan in a 350F oven for no more than 5 minutes.

3 Likes

Another option you could pick up at a grocery store would be walnut oil. (so long as no one who will use it / eat food prepared w/ it has a nut allergy)

2 Likes

You will want to be careful using olive oil, vegetable oil, or corn oil, they will turn rancid.

Walnut oil, linseed oil (raw, not boiled) and mineral oil are considered safe. IIRC, walnut oil when cured does not pose a risk to people with nut allergies. Walnut oil is the only one which will cure.

Also, if you soak the spoon in water and vinegar, you will need to sand again, it will raise the grain.

2 Likes