Why did I do it? Dunno... Thought it was a good idea. Need help now

Hello!

I finally got back to this mothballed project. A while back I decided to upgrade my punny DeWalt router to a spindle so it can handle long running projects. Letting the Dewalt router run for hours on end didn’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Along that line of thought I decided to “upgrade” my Z axis to a ball screw to handle the extra weight of the spindle. I took a look at some folks builds and decided to build one myself.

So I did. And I think I did a decent job of it.

Later, I learned there’s one made for it. Oh well. What’s done is done.

Now with some custom work comes some custom settings. I’m having a bit of trouble with this. Two things I need to figure out is:

1. The ball screw travel is 4mm per revolution. So I need to figure out how to change this in the gcode.
  2. The Stepper motor rotation is opposite. So it wants to go down to home instead of homing up.

I attempted to figure this out on my own but I think I hurt myself…
spongebob-patrick

This is outside of the scope of normal support, so please take the below as a statement from a fellow user, not a Carbide 3D support person.

To reverse the Z-axis stepper motor you have to toggle a bit or rewire the motor — my inclination would be to rewire if that is an option — just swap any pair of wires.

To do it in software, you need to change things in Grbl. See:

you need to set $3 — this is either set to 6 (SO3 w/ belt-drive Z-axis) or 2 (SO3 w/ Z-Plus or HDZ), and you need to add or subtract 4 (plus or minus 1 reverses X, plus or minus 2 reverses Y, plus or minus 4 reverses Z).

To calculate the number of steps/mm for the #102 Z-axis steps/mm setting you need to know a couple of things:

• no. of microsteps — for a Carbide 3D board, that is 8
  • whether the motor is 1.8 degrees per step (200 steps / rev.) or 0.9 degrees (400 steps / rev.)
  • how much the screw advances per revolution — 4mm

so we need to do the math to get to the # of steps/mm to advance 1mm. There’s a Grblcalc app for Java at: AtomSoftTech (Jason Lopez) · GitHub

The Z-Plus leadscrew uses 200 steps/mm, while the HDZ uses 320 — I’d just set it to 200 steps/mm, jog down to the baseplate, set the origin there, jog up by 25, 50, or 100mm (whatever the movement will allow) and calibrate per:

https://my.carbide3d.com/faq/belt-stretch/

1 Like

This is outside of the scope of normal support, so please take the below as a statement from a fellow user, not a Carbide 3D support person.

Yup. That’s why I placed it in the unsupported section.

Thanks for the information. I’m heading back out to the shop to see if I can apply this to the abomination I hath wrought. I shall report back with news.

Was able to successfully get the direction corrected. Fighting with serial terminal software to connect to the port in order to write the correct steps for 1mm travel. I’ll play with it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the assistance.

If you’re using a Carbide Motion controller, just connect to it and use the MDI (might need to enable it in Options).

1 Like

I was unaware that was an option. Definitely will have to check that out.

Thanks.

Welp, came out to work on the shapeoko, fired it up and found the MDI option.

Unfortunately… Before I did anything I initialized the shapeoko and the Z motor crushed the limit switch.

Why? I guess I did something wrong somewhere.
Oh well.

Fortunately, I got this Dog river tools no contact limit switch/sensor kit with the shapeoko when I got it.

Working on that now.

I believe I fingered it out.

I installed the non contact sensors. Looks much cleaner. Although I need to redo the Z after I get that figured out.

Getting back to the subject.

I managed to roughly calibrate 0.1" travel using $102= command.

It’s off about 2 thou. A bit more refinement and I’m sure it can get it dead nuts.

I figured out why it crushed the Z switch. While I was screwing around I forgot I put the stepper wiring back to what it was before I reversed it. So the system thought it was moving away from stop, where infact it was moving towards it. Oops.

I appreciate the information.

3 Likes

Adding additional information:

The stepper motor I got with the linear rail can’t seem to handle the base systems rapid travel command without loosing steps.

So I went into MDI again entered $$ to see the current configuration.

$112 (Z) was set to 5000.000

As an experiment I entered $112=2000.000 and now the stepper doesn’t drop steps during rapid travel. :+1::+1:

Until get this spindle bolted on here and I finally get to see how it reacts to weight on it, I won’t know for sure. That will be the true test.

Until next time.

Again, I appreciate the information.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.