Why did the spindle decide to dive down into my bed and rails?

Trying to find out what happened… Still fairly new to my machine but have done a few small projects… trying to find out why the z-axis on my machine decided to just dive down hard into my bed and ruin my rails… Attaching the cut file and photos of what happened as well as the part itself… The run was zeroed to the wasteboard for the cutout…

LukeSign-CutoutBottomZref.c2d (232 KB)

When this happened to me it was EMI. This is what I did to help solve my issues.

Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

Looks like it is gradually getting deeper which suggest the collet wasn’t tight enough and the cutter got pulled down.

1 Like

This was with a down cut bit… since it is forcing the chips down wouldn’t it be trying to force the bit up if it was loose?

Were you cutting a slot just as narrow as the tool? Was the slot deeper than the diameter of the tool?

where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

1 Like

@flynnjs is correct, collet not tight enough. I’ve more experience with that particular problem then I’d care to admit.

2 Likes

Happened to me yesterday but I was able to recover ok.

I wish there was a way to remeasure the but during a pause from a job even if I had to manually return the router to the exact XY.

Mine did a similar Deep Dive and broke all of the wheels on the Z-Axis Carriage. Not good. I’m still learning but not to happy. It’s the third major issue, so far.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.