Why does the z-axis retract completely?

I’ve recently installed the HDZ z spindle. But what I noticed( I’m not sure if it did this before) is that when routing a contour toolpath it retracts every contour to is’s save position above the material. This will eventually wear out the spindle of the HDZ 10 times faster. Any ideas??? Wanted to attached a movie about it but it won’t let me as it is not in the format range

What is the safety/retract height set to in your file?

my retract height is set to 3 mm bit less than a 1/8th of an inch

Note that the first retract is done relative to machine coordinates, so that’s why it’s at the top.

The balance of them should be at the height specified.

If you find that’s not the case, please post the .c2d file, generated G-code, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine.

I understand Will. But it happens for every “layer” it cuts is goes back to de 3 mm above the work piece. It seems this is an software issue in carbide create because the other templates in this cut it did not happen. Somehow in this design something went wrong with generating the G-code. Other than this minor issue love the Shapeoko and the newly acquired HDZ with the 2.2 kW spindle with VFD

I don’t think this is a design flaw. Perhaps a lack of robustness in the algorithm??
I found, at first, watching an advanced V-carve path run rather painful. It would cut part of a feature/region, e.g. a letter in a word or phrase, then rapid to the other end of the part, cut a couple small details, then rapid somewhere else. No clue how it decided what order to cut the regions, or portions of them.

Further watching it seems to want to cut the areas with more than 2 tangencies first, like the center of a star, then profile areas with single tangencies (when the max depth comes into play), then the bi-tangencies, then back to clean up the corners. And it frequently retracts to the clearance height after each region/subregion. But not always. I’ve seen it rapid through an already cut area without retracting above the part. Almost hit the Pause button the first time.

The retracts between the regions are there to make sure the tool doesn’t wipe out the part when moving from one to another. I generally keep my retract height, especially on a flat workpiece pretty low. (0.05", 1mm)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.