Why does Z height in CM not represent accurately on the first stepdown?

Hi this “issue” has been bugging me consistently since I started to pay attention to it. Sometimes on a job I’ll set multiple stepdown depths (in Fusion 360) at say -1.25mm each stepdown.

Then I’ll set zero in CM and start the job. Then while watching the job in CM i’ll notice the Z height equals -.75mm on the first pass then on the next pass it’ll be -2.00mm (2-1.25mm = .75mm).

So my question is why is the first pass .75mm and not -1.25mm?

1001.nc (31.5 KB)

ncviewer confirms the first pass is at -0.75mm

And the second at -2mm

So…it must be something in the CAM, can you share the F360 file ? (maybe not, Fusion360 being down and all…)

1 Like

@Julien working fine for me!
https://a360.co/3mmhGUR

1 Like

The total depth is 7mm, stepdown 1.25mm, it takes 5.6 passes, and I guess…it just chooses to do the odd 0.6 pass first instead of last:

This is a facing Op, and interestingly, for a pocketing Op it does what one would expect, do the shallower pass last:

As to WHY a facing op with multiple depths is managed differently…I have no idea.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s been bugging me alot. It’s also really annoying.

Isn’t there a checkbox for “use equal step downs” or something of the like?

2 Likes

Ha, it seems like there IS an option for that

http://cadcamlessons.com/multiple-depths-fusion-360-2d-contour/

Maybe not for facing Ops, I did not check. Sometimes options come and go depending on the type of toolpaths.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I cannot typically surface the materials I work with, so outside of my fixtures, it is an unused operation. But surfacing has the same option. I think of step down setting as being a max allowable, this can be augmented by specifying the number of stepdowns, and the even stepdown option. I use these on materials that do now allow post processing, like HDPE, to disguise my machines resolution and rigidity.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.