Why is the Z-axis going below the waste board?

I’m new to CNC, so I may be making some bad assumptions, but I’m using Fusion 360 I setup a model with the origin point the lower left, front corner with z-axis up and normal x-y. When I set the home point on the Shapeoko 3 I set the home Z to be about .1mm above the waste board, however when I actually start the cutting the Shapeoko is cutting about ~3mm into the board…I would figure it would be smart enough to never go negative on the z-axis…any ideas?

Also I’m zeroing the x-y to be on the outer edge of my stock, I notice that I have to offset the x-y by the radius of my cutting tool…is this normal, it seems like something in the modeling/cutting pipeline should know I’m starting on the outside of the stock and make this adjustment for me.

Can you share your Fusion file?

Is your WCS origin in Fusion at the bottom of your workpiece as well?

This is how it is supposed to be. Zero is at the cutter’s center. Offsets would be set on the machine controller.

4 Likes

Playing around, it appears that the minimum step down was maybe causing the issue, reducing it to something small, adjusting the travel clearance so it doesn’t slip the Z and re-installing Carbide Motion appears to have almost fixed most of my issues. Thanks.

Fusion file:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al_IwaVJAakw12IWa4BC2H4pDqre

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.