Will the BitZero trigger on the Carbide VFD Spindle without the magnet

I found someone talking about this in an older thread but wanted to be sure. I noticed tonight that my BitZero (v2 with the loop) will trigger when I touch the spindle even if the magnet is not placed on the probe bit. I’m assuming this is because the VFD shares the same ground as it’s connected to the controller board, but I want to make sure this is intended behavior?

I use my V1 BitZero all the time without the ground clip and C2D VFD Spindle. Sure is nice to not forget to connect it when probing.

This is normal, however it is not 100% reliable. There’s like a 1 in a 1000 chance the stars align, the grease film on the bearings is just right, and you have just enough bad luck that electrical continuity through the frame to ground is compromised enough that it won’t trigger. That’s why the magnet is included.

5 Likes

Magnet or not, I always tap the BitZero to the pin to look for it to turn red and verify right before I probe. Got in the habit to make sure I don’t forget something.

4 Likes

I made the mistake of forgetting the magnet one time when I first got my machine and now I do the same as you. I check for red on the probe and also I look at the motion readout for the ‘Probe Active’ text that pops up. Great habit to build.

1 Like

I believe I saw another G-code sender ask for you to touch it as part of the probe process. Kinda cool. CM is suppose to be a lead you by the hand workflow, and you have to do it any ways. I guess it just ensures you that you didn’t miss a step :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.