Workflow and Fusion 360 toolpath refinements, let's figure it out!

Nope, i looked it up, I assume it’s basically MDF thats dyed all the way through? It’s probably got the same properties as MDF, though? If it has the same problem as MDF in regards to it’s smooth finish getting rough when painted/sealed, I’d just go for MDF as I’m sure it’s cheaper and it’s definitely more available. Right now I cut them out, brush on watered down wood glue, get sand paper in on the surfaces I can, then paint it. I’m looking for other better options for sealing. It can’t be a spray and ideally in a perfect world it’d go on, dry, and not require any sanding. That’s asking a lot though

It is quite a bit stronger (for holding those details) and takes finishes better. It leaves way less fuzzies as the “ingredients” are much more highly refined than typical mdf… might be worth looking in to. I will say this, after making the switch and finding a provider, I will NEVER willingly use regular mdf again.

3 Likes

What’s the cost compared to MDF? And to find a good supplier do you need to order online? I’m in Canada so shipping can be really expensive, but it might be worth it if I ordered it by the crate

It runs ~2x the cost of regular MDF at full sheet pricing (depending on thickness). It was actually hard to find for sale online, but I lucked out and found a listing on amazon (which is no longer available) so I could order a couple 12"x24" pieces to try it out. After deciding that I wanted to use it regularly I searched online and found a mill relatively close to me that produces it. I called them up and they were happy to sell it by the sheet to me and ship it to my door. I opted to just drive over and pick it up myself because shipping to a residence (requiring a lift) was cost prohibitive on an order of only 10 sheets.

Edit:
Print International (English) seems to be the Canadian distributor of Forescolor, not sure about Valchromat.

1 Like

Stuff looks fantastic, looks basically like an MDF saturated with sealer. Unfortunately, heavy stuff like that shipped from USA would likely end up more like 10-20x cost of MDF. If I ever happen to run into it in a store I’d try it but I’ve never seen it before

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.