Writing GCode files

I’m looking for guidance/recommendations for managing the GCode going forward. I’m currently running CC636 and CM542 and have downloaded CC652 and CM569.

My project is simple. It contains 2 toolpaths. One contains circles, the other squares. Each group of circles or squares is exported as a separate .NC file. My workpiece is .75 thick. In CM, I load one or the other and cut to a depth of .38 (just half past thickness). CM stops and I unclamp/flip the workpiece over and cut the other pattern to the same depth. The finished piece serves as a hot plate trivet where every intersection of the patterns creates an opening to diffuse the heat away from the counter.

I understand that the ability to group toolpaths and export them into separate Gcode files will not be carried forward past CC652.
? - is CC652 the last release in the CC6xx series?
? - Assuming I stay on CC652, will all releases of CM going forward continue to work properly with .NC files?
? - If I upgrade CM, i assume it will be able to sense the filetype and isolate the GCode accordingly?
? - Will CC7xx or CM contain a browser to look at the gcode. Many forum requests for help end up with “Send me your gcode”.
? - If I chose to upgrade to CC7xx, it seems that to be able to cut only squares or circles I would have to create two .C2d files, one for each?

I appreciate and info you can provide.

Regards,

Wayne

Yes

CM will ALWAYS support G-code. This is not up for debate.

CM knows how to handle C2D and NC files and get the G-code. Beyond that, I’m not sure I understand the question.

CM can show your G-code or export your G-code if connected to a machine. We also have the G-code extractor web page.

If you currently generate two G-code files from a CC file, you’d need to output two C2D file from your CC7 file (This two-file case is handled in the “Save Toolpath” logic in V7).

This workflow is functionally no different than generating two NC files like you’d do in CC6.

4 Likes

Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply. Based on all that I updated CC6 to CC652 and CM to CM569. Finally, I installed CC743. Later, I’ll take a working C2d from CC6 and open it in CC7 and do some testing. Can you provide a link to any information that outlines the functional changes between CC6 and CC7?

Thanks

See:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.