Wrong pocket toolpaths size done by the cnc

Hi,
I got a problem doing a project having a bunch of circles pockets, being 5/8" and 1/2".
Everything looks fine in Carbide Create. I did as usual the export in gcode file, and to be open in Carbide Motion.
The problem is that every circle pockets were cut at 5/8" !
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,
RW

-Windows 11
-Carbide Create Pro build 764
-Carbide Motion 622
-Shapeoko Pro XXL

Post your file and photos showing how the cuts turned out?

It looks like the center circles are supposed to be cut with one size of bit, and the other circles are cut with a different bit - the stepover is different.

Is this what you intended? Do you have a BitSetter?

Your results are consistent with the outside circles being programmed for a 1/8" bit, but being cut with a 1/4" bit.

In the future, by far the most useful thing you can do if you are using Carbide Create is provide the C2D file.

3 Likes

Double check the file tool path that cut were cutting inside or outside the circles. That has bitten a few people because the default is inside.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply,

@ gdon_2003 : The circles are using Pocket and afaik there’s no option to cut inside or outside, like you have if Contour is selected.

R.W.

Hi Michael,

All the cut are using the same #201 End Mill 1/4".
Only the stepover was different.
I do expect to perform soon a test having the same stepover, but still I can’t see a problem here.
Yes our machine has the BitSetter.

Thank you,
R.W.

Can you post your C2D or gcode? That may get you a quick solution.

Looks like the circles along the sides were programmed to cut with a 1/8" end mill instead of a 1/4" end mill. Thus, if a 1/4" end mill was the only tool used during the cutting, the circles would get cut out larger than intended.

2 Likes

Hi,
Joel and Michael you are right.
I did use 2 computers to perform the draw and I found that on one of them, the #201 End Mill 1/4" that was added to a custom tool library is having a wrong size, 3.175mm instead and which is 1/8", and which it is not possible to verify on the other one.
I should had verify the selected bits in the gcode earlier but I was too convinced that was not the problem. :roll_eyes:
Thank you very much!
R.W.

R.W.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.