X-Axis Grinds — Possible Controller Failure?

Got this awesome Shapeoko XL couple of weeks ago and was getting used to it. All was working fine but suddenly the X-axis started to grind in place while initializing. Swapped the X and Z cables at the controller and X axis was moving just fine. Looks like there is some issue with the X-axis stepper controllers “left” sequence. I was about to order a new controller from Carbide, but wanted to double-check.

Thanks.

More likely it’s the direction of the X stepper. Did you send the settings for “shapeoko xxl?” It should home in the direction of the right rear corner. If it move in the right direction, but grinds, it’s the homing switch in that back left corner you have a problem with.

Thanks for the note. Actually, homing was not an issue. In fact, when I start a job that only needs Y movement, it works fine. But when I load a file that needs X movement to the left, that’s where the problem starts. It actually stays in place and makes this annoying loud noise — as though the step sequence has gaps.

Check the wiring and connectors — if there isn’t something obvious to address then it’s a failed stepper driver — one failure mode is movement in only one direction.

Let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get this sorted out with you.

Sure Will. I will spend some more time tomorrow to check the connections again and reach out to support as needed. Thanks for all your quick replies. Much appreciated.

After talking with Brandon at Carbide support, was about to order a replacement controller. Then wanted to check with him to make sure I did all tests to conclude controller was the problem. After replacing X-axis connector end-to-end with the Z connector (that is, at both the controller & the stepper motor ends), I was able to jog X-axis just fine. Now tried connecting them back and still was able to jog without issues.

It turns out the last file I created in Carbide Create is the issue. All other files are working fine except this one where it makes a loud noise moving left from home position.

Thanks.
–Sriniacr_text.nc (13.3 KB)

It has quite a long move in it:

How does that relate to how you are setting up your stock and setting zero relative to it?

Ah, that explains why I am still a newbie when it comes to CNC & Carbide Create. I do not have the .c2d file, but since I initialize machine to top right but perhaps have set to bottom left in .c2d, Shapeoko was trying to move to an area it cannot.

I never expected this would happen, but now I have to be careful… or, at least the next time this happens, have to make sure my starting point & design start are in sync.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.