X-Axis Issue: wiring related I believe

Here’s a link to the video: IMG_8647 on Vimeo

Essentially, the X-axis has a mind of its own. Note that it even drifts the wrong way during the homing cycle. I believe this first occurred during a milling operation. When I “messed with” the wires the in the control box it went away, but now after replacing the X-axis wire from the control box, it’s back.

If I manually move the carriage to the right, the homing switch lights up and the Shapeoko then backs off to try the slow approach, but that fails.

I have an email off to support, but it’s Sat and I was hoping to be productive over the long weekend. Any ideas to try would be welcome.

EDIT: I played with the wires some more to no avail, BUT I did move the carriage all the way to the left side of the table and then when it Initialized, it worked. It went through the BitSetting thing. I then turned power off and on and re-initialized and it worked again. So, I’m up and running, but who know for how long?

If anyone watching the video can tell me what it looks like is happening, I’d be most appreciative.

1 Like

Ugh, it’s really inconsistent. Here’s the behavior after something changed with the machine previously initialized.

Weird X-Axis Behavior

Note that the carriage at first does nothing. Then on next 2 attempts it goes one direction then abrubtly shifts to the other.

Definitely a wiring issue. Power off and check all of the connectors.
Is there a particular spot in the X or Y axis that it seems to occur most frequently? That may give a clue to which part of the wiring to check.
They’ll probably send new harnesses.

2 Likes

OK, so I think I got it narrowed down to the connection between the two drag chains, as if I play with that connection while the machine is initializing, the X-axis will work, then not work, etc… Since the wire from the control box is brand new, then it’s almost certainly the wire to the motor.

This would be the third bad wire I’ve developed. One was right off the bat - the other two developed over a short time. I believe this is an area in which Carbide3D can greatly improve.

1 Like

You should be able to, with power off, pull on each individual wire and it should stay in the connector. If it slips loose, you have a bad crimp. You’d need to remove the pin (special, fragile tool needed) and recrimp a new one. Or hope the next one is better. Make sure the issue is not on the motor’s connector.

2 Likes

Check the wires near feeding into the electronics enclosure. I noticed today the lip around the opening is a bit sharp and is digging into my ground wire.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.