X axis stopped moving

Hello all, brand new here. I have had my shapeoko 4 standard setup for 2 weeks now and since the beginning the x axis hasn’t seemed right. It has been very jerky and at times even stuck. Sometimes it runs very smooth with no issues at all. Today it just stopped moving and responding entirely. I completely unassembled and then reassembled it with no luck. The v wheels and belts seem to have adequate tension and the wire connections seem fine. It seems like the x motor is burned out. Any suggestions?

Things to check:

• wiring and connectors
  • V wheels and eccentric nuts
  • pulleys and pulley set screw
  • belts

We have your open ticket in the support queue and will repond there as soon as we can.

All seem to check out ok. Thanks Will!

For a while the wiring harnesses had loose pins and/or poor crimping. Look at your X motor connectors from stepper motor to controller. If you see any discoloration that is a key indicator for a poor connection. It could be a bad stepper motor but C3D seldom has stepper motors go bad. I would bet it is a connector problem.

Look at each connector and pull on each wire to see if it feels tight. If any connectors come out you might be able to just push it back and hope it locks into place. Talk to support to get some troubleshooting ideas.

I recently had the same/similar issue on my S3 XXL. Multiple troubleshooting steps including purchase of a new stepper motor (didn’t resolve the issue). Ultimately I ended up putting a volt/ohm meter on the X Axis wiring harness and tested each of the 4 wires in the harness for continuity. Found the black wire had broken off the pin at the motor side of the harness. Re-solder of the wire to the pin and no more X axis issues. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions. This morning I took the motor off the axis and hooked it directly to the board and it works. Leaving it out and hooked to the longer wire it also worked. When I installed in back on the axis it doesn’t move. I just checked and adjusted the v wheels and the belt tension.The set screws on the motor shaft were also checked and are tight.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.