X- issue vibrating

Hello- All of a sudden I am having an issue with my shapeoko pro xl and the x axis. when moving x- to the left in jog before it gets to my probe it stops and vibrates. it will not travel all the way to the left. Any help

Probably a mechanical issue. Belt tension, lubrication, debris on the tracks, or dust hose. Another thing to check is the connectors. Ensure they are firmly pressed together.

Good Luck

1 Like

What @Zman said but if it is a belt machine SO3/SO4 check your stepper motor set screws. Make sure at least one of the set screws is on the flat. If one is on the flat put a magic marker across the pulley and center of stepper motor shaft. This gives you a quick visual indication if a pulley is slipping.

It is likely a mechanical problem. Something hanging up the machine like a dust hose, junk on the alum extrusion or your v-wheels are not tight and binding up.

If you machine is a ball screw driven machine like SO4 Pro or an SO5 then check the bearings at the end of each ball screw. The bolts sometimes come loose and puts the ball screw in a bind.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the quick response and information. I cleaned everything real well and oiled it again and after a few passes, it seems to work itself out. Thank you again.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the information. I cleaned and oiled the rails and after a few passes, it seem to work itself out. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again but if it does, I guess I’ll take the stepper motor off and check on that. I probably should do that now but with it working, I’m afraid I’ll screw something up.

Once you have determined the pulley is properly positioned on the shaft, but a witness mark on it for a one second visual check.

IMG_1797

2 Likes

You might want to oil the bearing blocks via the oil ports, that will keep them lubed for longer than oil on the rails.

Very seldom do stepper motors go bad. Usually they work or not and not sometimes. There have been wiring issues that cause intermittent issues but those are also far between. As you stated you oiled your bearings and rails and the problem went away. Be sure to regularly oil your bearings.