X Y shifting occurring on a contour cut but it fixes itself after the first layer

Unfortunately my local hardware stores (even Home Depot) did not carry any M4 8 mm Allen head screws so I settled for these.

I can travel to another Home Depot about an hour away tomorrow after work and grab some. I might grab both 8 mm and 10 mm just in case. I’ll swap them out and realign the flats

Agree - I would use the longer set screws I mention in the post above (M3x8mm for the S3) and make sure you’re getting good contact with the flat surface. Try that, re-tighten everything, and run your tests again.

If belts and mechanics are good and it’s still happening after you adjust those set screws, my next thought it check your wiring. Reseat the motor cables, check routing for interference (laying right on the router power cable, etc.). Then you can flip motors from one axis to the other, see if the problem follows a motor.

3 Likes

For a one second visual check, this is what I did.

IMG_1797

Good Luck

1 Like

Everyone should be marking these. I dont like the marker look so I scribed a line with my new hand tool- McEtcher.

(And the highly skilled retirees will broach a key way.)

1 Like

If there is a problem with the Y-axis, check it by:

• powering down
  • removing both Y-axis belts
  • putting a bit of tape on the Y-axis pulleys so as to more easily see their rotation
  • powering up and initializing

The machine should initialize the Z-axis as normal and then try to move the X- and Y-axes — the X-axis should also initialize as normal while the Y-axis motors should turn until they time out — do they turn evenly and in synch?

Power down and re-install the Y-axis belts if they are in good condition, swapping them end-for-end and side-for-side.

Let us know what you find out at support.

I have the correct screws and tried to realign both y axis pulleys but the shafts are stuck and will not budge. They are both misaligned and I cannot turn them correctly without busting them haha. I guess they are loose enough to fidget on certain cutting operations but too tight where I cant actually adjust them

I will contact Carbide support and see what my options are

Hopefully those flat head screws didnt gall up the shaft and hopefully the holes were not then filled to the brim with locktite.

I smell a goat screw.

Goat screw indeed. Good news is support believes that if it wont budge, its likely not the issue. Which means the bad news is the issue is still unknown. Ill put everything back together and run another test cut after work just to see where im at

Power up, install a probing pin, jog the machine to the center, grab the tip of the pin and try to shift things — investigate what/where things shift.

Hm ok, good idea. Ill conduct this test after work and report my findings.

I appreciate everyones help here @WillAdams @Bozo @dandangerous @Zman

I apologize for how slow im moving through this process

Just for peace of mind, it would good to remove the sprocket with a puller, clean up any damage to the shaft with a file, put the sprocket back on and align the screw with the flat.

1 Like

It’s been a while, life got a bit busy, but I do have updates. Carbide 3D sent me a replacement motor due to my shaft being a bit messed up. I installed it, lined up the flats properly, installed the new screws with threadlock on the shaft. I also cleaned the pulley, pulley wheels, and bearings. I had noticed a build-up of rubber and dirt grime.

I ran my test cuts and they came out perfect, no more weird shifting occurring. My best guess is some sort of slipping was occurring

Hooray! That’s great news, glad you figured it out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.