X/Y/Z controller for MacBook?

Hey makers -
I came across the Meyers Woodshop video for a Rii mini keyboard controller to control the Shapeoko. I picked one up on Amazon only to realize my Mac doesn’t recognize it.

Are there any Mac users here that are using something different to jog your machine? Is there an app for the iphone, perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

No app needed for the iPhone — determine the IP address of the machine running Carbide Motion, then connect to that IP on port 8080

2 Likes

I just use a regular usb keyboard that sits next to the machine. The arrow keys and +/- control everything and it’s pretty easy to do it without looking now.

2 Likes

Thanks Ryan -
That’s the route I wanted to go as it seemed the most streamlined. The Rii I purchased isn’t being recognized… maybe just not compatible w/ a Mac.

Thanks Will - could you step-by-step this for me? I’m not following you.

1. Knowing my computer’s IP, from what device (iphone?) do I connect using port 8080? Are you speaking in terms of running the machine from my phone?
  2. If so, is there a ‘bridge’ program to make that work that has controls for jogging X/Y/Z? You mention there’s no app needed but what do I use as a controller?

To do this:

• determine the IP address of the computer connected to the machine and running Carbide Motion

• launch a web browser on the phone/tablet and connect to that IP address on port 8080 — something like:

http://yourmachine_name_or_ipaddress:8080

Thanks Will - I’ll give that a go.
Cheers.

Cool - I can see the app via that URL - going to the garage to test it out.

Added a shortcut icon to my phone as well - maybe this will help someone out (it was new to me):

How to create a web page shortcut on your iPhone Home Screen

1. Open Safari and navigate to the web page you want to create a shortcut icon for.
  2. Tap on the Share button at the bottom center of the screen.
  3. On the second row of options, tap on Add to Home Screen.
  4. You will be prompted to enter a title for your shortcut .
1 Like

UPDATE:

Technically this works. However, the jog functions from the iPhone are pretty erratic; each press of the button does not necessarily equate to one increment… I won’t be using this to jog the machine.

I have trouble with duplicated button presses on some machines as well — usually I’ve been able to work around this by reducing the increment of movement — please put in a note on this to support@carbide3d.com so that we can have that specific note on it not working on your machine.

I use the Rii keyboard with no issues on my MacBook Air over Bluetooth. So it is definitely possible, maybe I can help if you have a specific question?

2 Likes

Two quick points -

First, after connecting the keyboard to the Mac with Bluetooth, make sure the “Jog” window is open on Carbide Motion.

Second, press the number 4 key on the keyboard to set your increment to full speed. Initially my speed was set very low and it didn’t seem like it was working.

1 Like

Thanks John -
I ordered this (knee-jerk purchase) from Amazon without realizing it didn’t indicate iOS… looks like some of the Rii keyboards mention it and some don’t:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0814Q2NW6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may have to return this one and get something different as my Macbook doesn’t recognize this unit.

That looks similar to the one I got, which I can vouch will work with MacOS.

2 Likes

Hey John - I see it reads ‘Mac’ in the description. I think there must be a difference… I’m sending mine back / will re-purchase. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.