XXL, Problems homing - help!

Hi, After several months of delay, I finally completed assembly of my Shapeoko 3 XXL. Following the instructions, I successfully connected and turned homing on. Then I tried to do an automatic homing using the $h command. This went really bad. The Z axis began a plunge until the router hit the wasteboard and then it began shuddering as it continued trying to plunge. I double checked all the connections thinking maybe I somehow connected the Z axis backwards, but it seems that all is connected correctly (including the connectors within the drag chain).

I’ve recorded it and uploaded to YouTube so that others could see what’s happening: https://youtu.be/xQWD_Z8b7JM

Don’t know where to go from here. Help!!

Thanks
Kevin

1 Like

Usually the Z-axis being reversed is caused by installing the Z-axis spindle carriage plate upside down (from the front, the static pulley should be on the left): http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/176-shapeoko-travel-direction-and-reversal

1 Like

I put my plate upside down, but just reversed it in settings.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Looks like that’s what it is. Belt on my Z carriage wraps to the right, not the left. I assembled back when there wasn’t any clear direction and apparently got it backwards.

So, do I need to remove the entire X and Z assembly, or can I just remove the springs, plate, etc and swap it out? Now that it’s all wired with drag chain, might be a bit tricky.

Can I swap it in settings like Jerry says? Or will that cause other complications?

Thanks

how do you reverse it in settings?

So, $2=4 should invert Z axis if I read that correctly

I’m reading it too. it’s been a while for me :slight_smile:

I think it’s $3=4…

I see now that my spindle mount would be higher if the plate was reversed. Does having the lower mount compromise your material height?

No you would need to move your spindle back down to reach the board.

ok, great … then that’s an easy fix. I’ll try the grbl reverse and see how that works. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

With the spindle in the bottom set of holes, it will just barely reach the bottom of your factory spoil board, with a regular end mill.

got it working… that was a much quicker fix than taking the assembly apart and swapping the plate over. Thanks for your speedy help! Much appreciated! And awesome to see the Shapeoko logo being drawn my by machine. Very cool!

2 Likes

The link is not working. Same issue here will look it over again.

Plate seems to be in the correct position looking at the instruction manual.