Y axis belts tension revisited

having trouble maintaining tension on my Y axis belts…started a project yesterday, checked tension on both belts using the “snap” technique, started a 5 minute project and after 3 minutes both belts were loose and ruined the project. The has been an issue for awhile. Time to get a fix. Install new belts? something else???

That typically doesn’t happen, so I suspect there’s a problem near the belt clips. Can you share some photos of the belt clips on your machine?

have checked the clips multiple times…???

have also switched the clips and belts around…left to right, front to back.??

It looks like your belt clips are bent up — could you try removing them and straightening them? (putting them in a vise and using a pair of non-marring pliers would be ideal) — if straightening them out so that they will hold things in place doesn’t work, let us know and we will work out how to handle that.

EDIT: Also, please verify that the routing through the clips matches the instructions:

Further edit: One thing which I find helps a lot is to do this in stages — route and arrange the belts and get them connected with the gantry/carriage in the center, then gently move it to one end, power up so it will hold, then have an assistant pull on the gantry/carriage (so as to take up a bit of the tension) and then tighten the belt clip/belt, then power down and slowly/gently move it to the opposite end and repeat.

1 Like

routing thru clips are correct. slightly bent the clips…obviously caused difficulty threading the screws…but did get them through. spent time just jogging…a lot of front to back. no noticeable slipping. will try a short test project.

1 Like

test run worked fine…let’s see if it holds over time.

2 Likes

completed two projects…well over 3 hours and all was good. will keep an eye on the clips. tx.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.