YL Motor Only Moving in one Direction

Just finishing up the build after a couple of shipping mishaps. I’ve shimmed up the proximity sensors and got them sorted, and modded the non-mirror L-bracket that some of had for the drag chain transition.

When I first went to initialize the machine - the two Y motors were running in reverse of each other. The Z axis homed properly, but as movement started in the Y-direction the machine starts to fight itself pretty violently. I pulled the YL connection, and can Initialize with just one Y stepper (YR) and the machine runs (and jogs) as I would expect.

I figured that the left stepper motor was wired up wrong, so I flipped the Green / Black wire pairing to reverse the stepper direction. When initializing with both Y motors, the Initialization will run properly. But - when I try to jog away from the back of the table, the motors are running in opposite direction to each other (YR in the desired direction, YL towards the back of the table).

Plugging just the YL motor into either of the boards Y motor connections results in the same initialization result - the gantry moving towards the back of the table.

I switched the White/Red pairing on the motor out of curiosity, which results in the same problem as the start - the YL motor only running towards the front of the machine regardless of the input.

Any thoughts?

I’d be really interested in a response to this post. I just finished my build and I’m having a similar y axis issue that you describe. Did you get it solved?

Hey!

I’d give support@carbide3d.com an email. I’m currently working through the issue with them. I’d recommend keeping things as you got them from the factory - that’s the initial set of problem solving steps that I’ve gone through with them to make sure I’m back to factory wiring as I tried a couple things on the YL motor to see if switching the polarity helped (it didn’t).

Thinking it might be the Y2 direction output from the board that might be acting up (my guess) but hoping the next step from them is to check the board.

Cheers!
Adam

1 Like

Anyone who has issues should contact us at support@carbide3d.com

@AThuss is in contact with support already and we’re working through the issue.

I am trying to contact support since last Saturday with similar issue.
Every time new person responds, asking me to send new batch of photos and disappears.
I recieved “we will contact you shortly” message from three representatives and sent them already more than a dozen of pictures combined. But looks like nobody is able or cares to help. The issue should be easy to address by changing parameters in the controller. I just don’t know which one, since you do not supply a table with codes.

Your tickets have all gotten merged into one, and we should have an answer presently.

Most likely not the case. Sounds like a wiring issue. Incorrect wiring can cause a stepper to reverse direction, only move one direction, or behave erratically depending on the wiring issue.

Wiring is one way to fix it.
but you also can reverse a pulse sequence generated by the controller, so the stepper motor will rotate in the opposite direction with the same wiring.

Then you’d reverse both Y’s and have the same issue. They share step and direction signals.

If BOTH are going the same, but incorrect, direction, adjust your $3 setting.

2 Likes

OK, this is some useful information now, thank you!
But how and were to change it? The machine still did not complete the initialization. (namely, because the gentry is moving in the wrong direction?) If I try to swap the connectors of Yr and YL motors between Y1 and Y2 sockets, it still moves in the wrong direction - away from the Y homing switch.
I can rewire everything, of course, but want to avoid it if I could.

Same issue here the fact that it has been 7 days with no update is frustrating!

1 Like