Z axis dropping at beginning of job

I noticed something in the pics that @WillAdams posted. My material thickness was 19.050 but the actual thickness is 19.27. I wonder if the Z was dropping to what CC had the thickness set to because that was the stock top in the settings.

I cut a lot of Birch ply and it is a true .75" but MDF can vary and I didn’t think of that.

Does this sound right? It could explain why it doesn’t happen all of the time.

If you had your zero height set to Stock Bottom, and were zeroing off the spoilboard that would make sense. You programmed it at 0.750", and the stock was actually taller. But you are using “Top” and zeroing off the top of stock. So, if anything a through cut would leave some stock on the bottom of the cut, rather than taking too much off the top.

2 Likes

Not a bug, as requested:

The Start Depth is set to 3mm, so you are asking the program to begin the cut 3mm below the stock surface — normally this would only be done if putting a feature at the bottom of a previous operation which had removed 3mm of material.

If you change to 0:

and then output the G-code:

The move is to 0.25mm above the stock surface:

G90
G21
(Toolpath:...)
(Toolpath:...)
M05
M0 ;T10
M03S15000
G0X47.653Y96.623
Z0.250
G1Z-1.587F203.2
X48.295Y96.443F2159.0

I changed the start depth on a part I’m running now to stock top and it did not scar the surface.

It seems like the problem might have been myself and inexperience :laughing:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.